ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car insurance annual v daily?

The insurance has just ran out on the MR2 and has got me thinking. Why am I paying £500 a year for insuring a car that hardly gets used. So got me thinking about day insurance instead. Just done a quote online and its only £20 a day. I very rarely go out on the road as its pointless as you cant go fast without fear of getting nicked. The car is at the spec I want so no testing new parts etc. Obviously the downside is no fire & theft insurance 99% of the year but I'd keep it on the drive on axel stands, battery and steering wheel removed so the chance of it going missing is very low.

So my man maths, say I do 6 track days a year that's £120 for insurance + 6 months road tax at £135 if in separate months which would be a total of £255 a year

An annual policy would be £500 + the 6 months road tax which is £635 a year

That's a saving of £380 a year which could be spent on maintenance, repair, consumables etc...

Does anyone else day insure with their track toy?

Last edited:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
No help to you, but i always wonder how people afford/justify running multiple cars.

When i had my MR2 i had a multi car policy with Aviva with my Clio 182. The MR2 was basically standard and the clio had the usual mods all declared, total for the year for me was £550. Annoyingly at the time a Z4 3.0i with the Clio was only £500, but my Dad decided not to sell me his car and keep it a while longer (it was mine previously that i'd sold to him), so i bought the MR2.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Where are you getting a day insure for £20 ?! Let alone for a modified car...

Serious question btw.

Don't think I've ever found it for less than £40/50 and never with any modifications.

If you're going annual policy - is that with a 1-2k mileage limit ?! Otherwise it doesn't make sense you're paying a fortune for an annual policy but yet seemingly a (relative) bargain for a day.

My Clio was mirrored on to my main car and was less than half of yours with a ~2k limit.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I was always under the impression day insurance wouldn’t cover mods just a standard car? Unless you have managed to source modified day insurance? I’ll have some of that if so 😆

Where are you getting a day insure for £20 ?! Let alone for a modified car...

Serious question btw.

Don't think I've ever found it for less than £40/50 and never with any modifications.

If you're going annual policy - is that with a 1-2k mileage limit ?! Otherwise it doesn't make sense you're paying a fortune for an annual policy but yet seemingly a (relative) bargain for a day.

My Clio was mirrored on to my main car and was less than half of yours with a ~2k limit.
Screenshot_20200415-164618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Didn't get as far as declaring mods, but used day insurance before that didn't even ask.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Can see your predicament, similar to me really. On the day cover you’ve got quotes for, if you don’t declare, why bother buying it in the first place?

I was going to say I’ve used apps like Cuvva for day insurance (even just for a couple of hours) but they wouldn’t touch a track ready Clio with a barge pole, so it costs me £300 a year to insure for 3,000 miles (all mods declared)

A pain tbh but given I don’t have a trailer,
It’s the only option.

The insurance sector hasn't changed its offerings in decades. It's ripe for new players like Cuvva to come in and offer something more tailored and customer-friendly. Of course Cuvva and their like are limited to standard cars but in time that will change.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I pay £1100 for my Megane and Clio to be insured. 5 YNCB, 23 years old, 3 points and both modified

To insure the Megane on it's own it would be £900 so I just pay the extra £200 because when one breaks I can drive the other😂

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I pay £1100 for my Megane and Clio to be insured. 5 YNCB, 23 years old, 3 points and both modified

To insure the Megane on it's own it would be £900 so I just pay the extra £200 because when one breaks I can drive the other😂
Who's that with mate? I'm currently insuring the 220 with Jackie as a named driver. Once the phase 1 is ready then I'll get to insure that to keep her no claims going. Also gonna have the twingo to insure once that arrives so might stick it on a multi policy with the 172

(Sorry for stealing your thread Phil)

Who's that with mate? I'm currently insuring the 220 with Jackie as a named driver. Once the phase 1 is ready then I'll get to insure that to keep her no claims going. Also gonna have the twingo to insure once that arrives so might stick it on a multi policy with the 172

Haha no worries mate.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I often think the same thing but again never had a decent quote for day insurance and it is handy to be able to take it down the road legally now and then for whatever reason. I’m with Greenlight paying £260 or thereabouts for the year fully comp with a 3k mileage limit all mods declared. Would much rather have a trailer but I don’t want to store it on the drive so the costs to buy it, store it and get a tow bar fitted etc would far outweigh the cost of insuring it for many many years for me.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

Flux unfortunately

Only reason I go with them is because they save me over £100 over everyone else. The r****d at Greenlight thought that because I'd removed PAS, AC, seats, steering wheel and other things that it would de-value it because original pieces of the car were missing🤦‍♂️ Bet he has missionary sex too the f**king whopper

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Why would he/they care if it devalued it?
f**k knows

He was basically telling me a Monaco 172 wasnt worth 2k. Flux insured it for 3k and the bloke on the other end of the phone didnt sound like a degenerate that finds his own siblings sexually attractive either. People bang on about Greenlight being awesome but every experience I've had with them they've been useless

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Maybe it’s because your northern? ;) :ROFLMAO:

Never had an issue with them tbh, much cheaper than flux for me but pointless comparing quotes tbh.