ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car ride height

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi all, I have a Ph1 172 for track only that is extremely well lightened. This obviously has left the chassis riding higher than before. I'm running 15's with 888's.
What would be a good recommended (based on experience) height between arch and tyre back and front.
Many thanks in advance

172 Ph1
bb9be283a3a1a5acb40b3d5144db3f81.jpg

The only one I have . My motor has some forward rake to it .
Helps a lot with turn in.

Are you running platforms at the back ?

172, BMW 650i & X5
Was originally, I removed them to lower it more and she's still about 40mm between tyre and arch. Was thinking of full rear coilovers.
Car is physically as light as I can get it and she's lifted quite a bit. Need to get her back down

172 Ph1
Was originally, I removed them to lower it more and she's still about 40mm between tyre and arch. Was thinking of full rear coilovers.
Car is physically as light as I can get it and she's lifted quite a bit. Need to get her back down

What springs you using ?

fb0e3df9a436c2474ad7c401e40e2e22.jpg

Can you see I have a 6mm gap to lower the platform still .

I think maybe a full strut coil over would be your best option , as you'll have more adjustment , only issue I see with running a full coilover is that the body weight sits on the shock and puts extra stress on that point .

172, BMW 650i & X5
Can't identify springs bud unfortunately.
Don't follow with the 6mm gap, can you elaborate?
Honestly can't believe how much she's lifted. Must get it weighed!

172 Ph1
Can't identify springs bud unfortunately.
Don't follow with the 6mm gap, can you elaborate?
Honestly can't believe how much she's lifted. Must get it weighed!

Where the adjuster sits under the spring , so I still got a few turns left to lower it down before it stops . So the height you see in my first pic could come down a little further .

I'm running a FG boot lid and spoiler , stripped out , loom has been on a full diet ect

172, BMW 650i & X5
I've actually removed adjusters altogether to get down as much as possible and still high. Can these rear axles be pre loaded?

172, BMW 650i & X5
Most people fit suspension parts without realising that they need preloaded.
Tightening all flexible joints with the car in the air instead of preloaded joints by jacking axle to support weight of chassis under load then tightening. Makes huge difference

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Tightening all flexible joints with the car in the air instead of preloaded joints by jacking axle to support weight of chassis under load then tightening. Makes huge difference

Agree with this massively

172 Ph1

I miss understood , but I know exactly what you mean now .

When I do my suspension tightening , it's loosened off first then retightened whilst the car is on those drive up ramps.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Need to come down for a little more corner speed, bit much higher roll for my liking...
See below

car will probably roll about the same when lowered due to roll centre issues (suspension arms pointing upwards, putting roll centre below the car/asphalt) so lowering it will decrease roll, but the displaced rollcentre will counter that.. @NorthloopCup does something nice for this......

172, BMW 650i & X5
car will probably roll about the same when lowered due to roll centre issues (suspension arms pointing upwards, putting roll centre below the car/asphalt) so lowering it will decrease roll, but the displaced rollcentre will counter that.. @NorthloopCup does something nice for this......
Care to elaborate on 'something nice'
Curious...

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Roll centre correction hubs like the cup race cars but with normal Clio172 hubs.

There maybe a groupe buy at the mo

172, BMW 650i & X5
I would defo invest in the Marks hubs well worth the cash.

I run them with PMS bearing arms and the handling is spot on.

You sound a bit like me, anal about handling rather than Power hungry figure chasing!
Pretty much bud. Power to weight is my personal vice. Still amazes me people spend huge chasing bhp when the car is still 'fat'

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Pretty much bud. Power to weight is my personal vice. Still amazes me people spend huge chasing bhp when the car is still 'fat'

Horses for courses.

I don't want to drive to and from tracks / Le Mans / Ring rattling my fillings out and making myself deaf for the sake of 40kgs.

250bhp and 1020 kg or so does me fine.

For what it's worth, I'm running Marks hubs, ASTs on custom rates and with a bit of rake and decent tyres it goes round bendy bits pretty well in my opinion ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol.

Are you building a race car to race?

Or a car to have fun on track in?

Quite a few comments in here reek of "track hero" status.

Trackdays are a bit of fun, not racing on the cheap.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Old pic.
Track car only, just a bit of fun with time on my hands to fettle with it so may as well make it as good as I can.
Track hero? No, just trying to improve each time. I race Autograss where weight etc is all important so I relay that to track toy too. Best of both worlds and a non road car so anything goes.
Track lets you fettle to apply elsewhere.

16v UK Cup Race Car
Honestly, I just don't get why some people feel the need to criticise what others want to do... If he wants to take a track day/fun toy to the limit... why the heck not??

Go for it Leslie. I think this is an interesting project.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Honestly, I just don't get why some people feel the need to criticise what others want to do... If he wants to take a track day/fun toy to the limit... why the heck not??

Cheers bud. Genuinely appreciate it.
I always think by fettling and trying to improve you learn more and can apply it elsewhere. New ideas, new tools, new skills.
I don't have a build thread but will try and get a walk through up.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Largely because he and others feel the need to criticise those who don't strip their "fun toy" to the limit and spend "huge" on a "fat car".

Don't give it out, if you don't like it back again.

I did say horses for courses! Personally people can do what they want, but don't then assume it's what everyone else should do.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Largely because he and others feel the need to criticise those who don't strip their "fun toy" to the limit and spend "huge" on a "fat car".

Don't give it out, if you don't like it back again.

I did say horses for courses! Personally people can do what they want, but don't then assume it's what everyone else should do.
Fair enough, each to their own I guess

Clio phase 1 172
View attachment 1313270

The only one I have . My motor has some forward rake to it .
Helps a lot with turn in.

Are you running platforms at the back ?
Hey buddy sorry to jump on an old post but I’ve lowered my car like this at the front and I’m getting bad vibrations from the near hand side when cornering right and I thought it could be the fact it’s lowered too much and the drive shafts are binding slightly when I turn so did you have any issues at all lowering yours really low? Thanks