ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day - PAS failure

A5 Coupe & Clio182
OK, so... during my first track day at Snetterton the car was pretty standard just stripped out.

I start warming up the car and taking it steady. Then after a few laps I started to push the car more..... at this point I break hard & turn into the corner & my steering is really stiff, so I'm understeering like crazy. I slow down & take it steady, then next turn... BANG. My power steering goes & the fluid pisses everywhere. DAY over 20 minutes in.

Since then I've replaced the PAS pump which siezed up, the alternator which was dead, the pretensioner that was resting on the belt & the belt.

I'm just worried if I've done enough to get me through a track day??? Any advice???

Going to replace the following in the next few weeks:
brake pads & discs
brake fluid
tyres

Any help would be appreciated!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I think the PAS failing is unlucky, was it making any noises before the tracj day.

In prep for a track day I usually make sure the pads/discs have plenty of life in them and ensure the engine oil is fairly fresh. The only other thing I do is make sure the brake fluid is decent and has had a recent change, if not I get it changed with a higher performing fluid.

As for tyres unless it's going to be raining I wouldn't buy a brand new set of road tyres just for the track day. That is unless you have ditch finders on. Oh and keep an eye on your tyre pressures through the day. It amazing how much they go up once you have some heat in them.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
My pump went on track last year too. Near impossible to steer when it goes.

It is quite common on these to suffer PAS failures with track use, fluid usually boils.

A5 Coupe & Clio182
@Short Legs Nice one mate, thanks for the tips! I wasn't driving it before the track day hardly. So I couldn't tell. So.. sorry question, say I set my tyre pressure to the required amount and it rises on the track, should I release some air when I stop or just wait?

A5 Coupe & Clio182
My pump went on track last year too. Near impossible to steer when it goes.

It is quite common on these to suffer PAS failures with track use, fluid usually boils.

Absolutely, and also I had a loud bang. I reckon also my pretensioner was resting on the belt.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely, and also I had a loud bang. I reckon also my pretensioner was resting on the belt.

I just heard a pop noise earlier in the lap and didn't think anything of it, then it started going heavy-normal-heavy so i came in and saw that it had blew the seal out behind the pulley.

RE tyres, when you come in from a session check the pressures before you go back out. Set them a bit lower than what you want them to be at operating temperature, as the pressure you set in the paddock will rise on track.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
@Short Legs Nice one mate, thanks for the tips! I wasn't driving it before the track day hardly. So I couldn't tell. So.. sorry question, say I set my tyre pressure to the required amount and it rises on the track, should I release some air when I stop or just wait?
what I do (and I'm no track day expert) is arrive at track, drop pressure anywhere from 5-10 psi below normal road pressures. Go out on track for a stint, usually 15-20 minutes. Come back in and check what they have risen to while they are still warm.

I did an evening session last month and forgot the let some out before going on track and when I came in I checked them and they were at 40psi. I think I dropped them down to about 30psi while still hot. To be fair 30 is probably still high.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the ideal pressure but I think its all a bit trial and error and driver/car specific.

Just get on track, take to easy to start with and enjoy it.