ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day

Hi guys (and gals),

Hoping you can answer a q. for me.

My mate wants to buy her fella a driving day, hes never raced on a track, and it needs to be fairly near the north of england (I was thinking Rockingham maybe?)..

Im hoping someone can recommend a company/website to do it with, as Ive heard a lot of these driving/track days dont actually involve much time on the circuit and are a bit of a swizz..

Hoping the Cliosport "Massive" can help me..

Ben

Not in the North im afraid but the best I have ever done is the Jonathan Palmer Experience at Bedford Aerodrone (Palmersport.com). Ive done it a couple of times now and its the only event of this type I have been on where they actively encourage you to your limits (and beyond), dont nanny you, enjoy the odd spin and you get loads of time on the track. The selection of cars is great and of couse includes the Clio Cup race car with the sequential shift and this season the Le Mans Jag which is an awesome drive. Also Evo, VX220 Turbo, Caterham, Palmer Audi single seater, etc. Great day.

Bedfords sh*t..but its a great day, nice cars and the instructors are skilled as well as a good laugh. That ozzie bloke is a nutter..

-Rob

Helpful as always rob............

Anyway, as you say hes a newbee to track stuff, then something like a palmersport day would be good, its an excellent track for beginners and experienced folk alike, and now theyve added a small complex before the left hander toward the pit lane its got more too it now - Nice place, great people, but maybe not as far north as youd want it.

f**k off..im telling it how it is, bedford isnt a track, its a bit of tarmac, but as i said, its a great day, and well worth doing.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I have to agree with the robster bedford is a clever cheapo track site.

Great place tho.

LOL @ roamer gettin lairy

Mate, Im sorry but there are loads of us on here who have been to Bedford a good few times, and calling it a bit of tarmac doent do it any justice at all.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

But its not as good a track as say brands or donny.

its a converted runway thats in the early stages of being developed, like sliverstone once was.

Hence way its still called bedford autodrome

But it wasnt built to compete against them mate, it was built for corporate events and track days which can accomodate beginners as well as the more experienced - and it shows - Ive only see two people off badly at bedford, whereas there were some scary times at donnington with quite a few people, including the dude who rolled - all in one session.

I dont agree that its sh*t as Rob said, its a good accomodating track, multi-configurations, lots of run-off etc etc, - perfect for anyone to drive on, esp. someone who is completely green to it.

Bedford is just an old airfield as the photos from the air show, personaly having been a number of times i think it is an excellent facility. But having also been to one or two circuits, Oulton park mostly i can see where pepole difference of opinion lie. Bedford is flat large run off areas ... suitable for the purpose as it is mainly used by corporate drivers ie the only time they will probably try to drive a car properly within its racing limits... But the track is totaly different armco coming upto you at druids dropping round to the right at deer leep onto the pit straight at silly speed puts it more into perspective for you.. much more of a real racing experience... But again to quote Dirty Harry "opinions are like arseholes...cos everyones got one!"

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 18 September 2003

freak!
mailto:LMFAO@RobFenn,again">LMFAO@RobFenn,again

its literary genius...

Bedfords sh*t..

comedy classics:

f**k off..im telling it how it is

and there is more... the back down:

Ok..well its sh*t from my perspective as its not challenging enough, and everyone cheats..
just how does everyone "cheat" rob?

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 18 September 2003

But it wasnt built to compete against them mate, it was built for corporate events and track days which can accomodate beginners as well as the more experienced - and it shows - Ive only see two people off badly at bedford, whereas there were some scary times at donnington with quite a few people, including the dude who rolled - all in one session.
And some long haired nutter, killing the breaks on my car ;)

I have to agree with Roamer, Donny is a challange, even for the more experianced driver.

Theres an event a couple of us are booked into which comes highly recommended by some of the more, well respected and experianced drivers on the forum......See the link below

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=49377&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=49377&PagePosition=1

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 18 September 2003

freak!
mailto:LMFAO@RobFenn,again">LMFAO@RobFenn,again

its literary genius...

Bedfords sh*t..

comedy classics:

f**k off..im telling it how it is

and there is more... the back down:

Ok..well its sh*t from my perspective as its not challenging enough, and everyone cheats..
just how does everyone "cheat" rob?

Because some corners are marked with little cones. This makes it hard for beginners to appreciate apexs..etc also. Im not on here to be a literary genius..

-Rob

did a trackday a few weeks ago at oulton park (near chester) fantastic day, the most fun ive had in ages. It was organised by easytrack who did an excellent job, suprised a lot of people in the 172 not least the driver of a porche gt3 who couldnt get near us all day, then in desperation tried to outbrake us into old hall bend and crashed, he couldnt believe that his 80 grand "supercar" got thrashed by a 15 grand "shopping trolly" he he .