ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TRACK DAY

Clio cup 172
Hi guys new to all of this ive recently got a clio 172 cup im planning on doing a tra kday at bedford and was wondering a couple of things
1. How much fuel will i use (roughly)
2. How much fuel to have in the tank

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Fuel depends on how much time you spend in the track.
I generally run around 100'ish track miles on a full tank.

Clio cup 172
Ok so ill have to try an work it out not even sure how to do it lol just fill the tank an take some jerry cans

Cullen0406

ClioSport Club Member
is the track day your doing an Open pitlane or Session Event? that will have a potential effect on how many laps you do.
I tend to Fill up at a local Tesco before getting to the Track as the fuel is miles cheaper than at the actual circuit
First few times I took an extra jerry can with me but I did know where near enough laps to use it. There will be a lunch break where the circuit is closed, many people leave then to go to the fuel station if they need to and to grab food. So that's always a possibility

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Full day at Bedford, I've driven there, 1/4 tank.. used about 1/2 or more before lunch, gone to the shell north on the A6 (about 10 mins from circuit) at lunch or just before as EVERYONE goes there, and done the pm session and got home before needing fuel.

Depends how you drive, how much you drive, how your car behaves (I assume it's not turbo'd or anything as they drink the stuff on track :LOL: )

If yours is running sweet, it shouldnt be a concern.

If you drive in 2nd gear everywhere and have sticking brakes and a dodgy lambda, it might use more than mine did.

Take it easy, give the car a cool down lap, keep an eye on temps and tyre pressures (which will rocket) when you're in, and try to spend as much time in the pits as you do out, just to give it half a chance of staying cool.

Go out for 10-15 mins, come in for 15... Rinse and repeat. See how it goes ! You'll soon figure it out :cool:

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Always check your wheel bolts everytime before you go on track, I've seen plenty cars that have bolts shear off or come completely loose when on track!!

Clio cup 172
is the track day your doing an Open pitlane or Session Event? that will have a potential effect on how many laps you do.
I tend to Fill up at a local Tesco before getting to the Track as the fuel is miles cheaper than at the actual circuit
First few times I took an extra jerry can with me but I did know where near enough laps to use it. There will be a lunch break where the circuit is closed, many people leave then to go to the fuel station if they need to and to grab food. So that's always a possibility

Its an open pit lane i hear what your daying about the fuel being cheaper off site thanks for the other info dont suppose you would be able to reccomend what tyre pressures to run

Clio cup 172
Full day at Bedford, I've driven there, 1/4 tank.. used about 1/2 or more before lunch, gone to the shell north on the A6 (about 10 mins from circuit) at lunch or just before as EVERYONE goes there, and done the pm session and got home before needing fuel.

Depends how you drive, how much you drive, how your car behaves (I assume it's not turbo'd or anything as they drink the stuff on track :LOL: )

If yours is running sweet, it shouldnt be a concern.

If you drive in 2nd gear everywhere and have sticking brakes and a dodgy lambda, it might use more than mine did.

Take it easy, give the car a cool down lap, keep an eye on temps and tyre pressures (which will rocket) when you're in, and try to spend as much time in the pits as you do out, just to give it half a chance of staying cool.

Go out for 10-15 mins, come in for 15... Rinse and repeat. See how it goes ! You'll soon figure it out :cool:
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the info thats good to know

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its an open pit lane i hear what your daying about the fuel being cheaper off site thanks for the other info dont suppose you would be able to reccomend what tyre pressures to run
On both my wets and dry’s, I run 25psi Cold in the front (about 30/32 hot) and 30 psi Cold in the rear, which is about 32/35 hot.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Mine does 8.9mpg, so the dash computer tells me.. Generally at Bedford ill use 3/4 tank in the morning and i re-fill £40 worth on site at lunchtime and that does me the rest of the day..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Clio cup 172
Mine does 8.9mpg, so the dash computer tells me.. Generally at Bedford ill use 3/4 tank in the morning and i re-fill £40 worth on site at lunchtime and that does me the rest of the day..

Thanks mate everyones saying fuel is really expensive on site but surely unless its £5 a litre i cant see that its worth carrying jerry cans or leaving site at lunch to go fill up

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks mate everyones saying fuel is really expensive on site but surely unless its £5 a litre i cant see that its worth carrying jerry cans or leaving site at lunch to go fill up
Exactly. Might cost you about £5 more for a tank of fuel but I’ll gladly pay that to not have to carry Jerry cans to and from the track.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I have cans and i have been known to take them.. But tbh i just cant be arsed for the sake of 20p per litre more..

Clio cup 172
Yeah exactly that. It may seem like a silly question but is there a possibility that the car will get to hot as in overheat i know on the street they dont but there not having the b****cks knocked out of them if so are there any tricks such as wiring the fan so it constantly runs or any perticualy good coolants available

Clio cup 172
I was recently told that on most front wheel drive cars the front brakes do 75% of the braking if this is correct would i be able to run standard rear brakes and just uprate the fronts

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
No problem with engine overheating as long as the cooling system is working as it should. Standard rear brakes will be fine as long as the pads aren’t very low. Decent brake fluid and front pads should be enough for your first time out, don’t spend a fortune, find how the car works for you on track and go from there.

Swift Sport
I've been doing trackdays 12 years... Basic car maintenance, hardly any modifications and normal road tyres most of the time. I've hardly had any issues at all, ever.
Just make sure your car is mechanically sound and that your tyres and brakes aren't on their last legs and you're good to go. Don't stress!

Clio cup 172
I thought that would be the car I've bought has uprated discs and pads front and rear but when I looked up the cost of replacing them they were alot of money so I thought as I'm just starting out i probably wouldn't be driving anywhere near as hard as the previous owner so for instance the £50 pound id save on not using mega expensive uprated rear pads would be better spent being put towards more track time

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Petrol wise at Snet I drive there on a full tank, drive all morning for about 20 minutes at a time with abit of cooling between and usually run out of fuel just before lunch, fill up on site and that does me for the afternoon and 60 miles trip home.

Clio cup 172
Petrol wise at Snet I drive there on a full tank, drive all morning for about 20 minutes at a time with abit of cooling between and usually run out of fuel just before lunch, fill up on site and that does me for the afternoon and 60 miles trip home.
Thanks for the advice mate dont suppose you have any tips on how to set the car up tracking wise i have a pal with a garage that has a proper high tech wheel aligner and he was talking about adjusting the tracking so it will corner better or is this all to much ball ache an to technical for just a track day after all its not formula 1

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Give the car a once over at your mates garage, make sure all the fluids are full and clean. Check your front discs and pads are in good condition, the rears do sweet fa on these. And make sure the suspension is all good.

Re tracking, the people who know that will be along to comment shortly I’m sure but standard tracking to whatever spec the computer says will be fine.

The best advice with regards to setting cars up for track, when you’re just starting is have it standard, get experience driving on track, then when your talent exceeds the mechanical bits of the car, then start upgrading and tinkering.

There’ll be faster cars and drivers than you so make sure to be mindful of them but don’t drive in your mirrors. If you see a faster car approaching and there’s not enough time to move over before a corner, focus on your line and getting round the corner before moving over on the next straight. If you’re focusing too much on the cars in your mirrors up your arse you’ll have a bad time and might end up cocking up.

Take a basic tool kit and a tyre pressure gauge at the minimum. Like people have said, you want to aim for 30/32ish psi hot. So do a few laps once the circuit opens to get the car up to temperature, then come in and adjust pressures. These cars benefit from higher rear pressures like Daniel said. More rear pressure helps with turn in and ebbs towards oversteer.

And don’t tighten your wheel bolts while the wheels are hot.

You’ll have an ace day though. There’s a reason you see so many of these cars at track days :D