ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track only tyres - R888 or the new AR-1

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Evening all,

Looking for some track only tyres for the dry, got another set of wheels for the wet.

I was set on R888's but i've just seen another post on here about the new Nankang AR1's not much info out yet but they look good! Bit cheaper aswell. (Looking for 205/45/15 if that makes a difference)
http://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/performance/motorsport/ar-1

Has anyone tried them?

Cheers

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
There is very little info out there as they are so new. The only test data I've seen puts them up with the Dunlop DZ03G on lap time but better for subjective feel. That should put them ahead of the R888, but it's just from a random internet post so isn't verified.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
The ns2r always have good reviews (for the money) I have the ns2 on the road and they are fine for me. They do let go a bit in the wet but have had nothing extreme.
It was me who posted about the AR-1 tyres. I took it from a post from facebook in a track specific group.
They all seem to be raving on about them allegedly going to be perfect to dry track. They are all dedicated track cars pretty much on there too, so cant be bad.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Why don't you just buy a set & report back after a couple of track days.
I remember trying the rsr & ns2r when they first appeared on the market & being told how crap they will be, what did they know?
Sometimes you have to try a product to find out if any good or not.

Price wise, look excellent value.
Not sure if wet road friendly, yet they do have the correct rating.

Clio 182
I've got a set of the newer r888r's to try for this year.....saw the new nankangs at Autosport, did well on the 'nail test' lol, be interesting to see how they're priced.

Clio Cup 172
Im looking at either the R888R or the AR-1 at the moment - it looks like they will be about £20 different / corner = has anyone tried either ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Im looking at either the R888R or the AR-1 at the moment - it looks like they will be about £20 different / corner = has anyone tried either ?

Not used either, but they're both very good from what i've seen/heard and you won't go far wrong with either.

Go with the cheapest and spend the saving on fuel and other bits.

Clio 182
I used a set of 888r's this year....lasted pretty well considering but do go off towards the end of a session. Had to swap them round several times to get the grip back but that's not unusual......overall I thought they were good but not outstanding!
Went through a set of federal rsr's last year and was impressed for a budget tyre, but does depend if you want to chase lap times as they can't compete with a dedicated track tyre (lasted great though).
I've since swapped to Dunlop direzza and they really are noticeably better than the 888r's, don't have the same drop off after 15 minutes and just seem to offer more overall grip.....downside is they really don't wear that well, but if the budget can stretch to it they would be my tyre of choice

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
Bump this thread up,
Does anyone have anymore feedback on the AR-1 Vs R888R?
The R888R seemed to be slightly cheaper at the moment.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
R888R for me, wear rate seems very good - though I'm pretty smooth and non-aggressive. Grip is excellent, if not comical on the Evo.

Nankang have a long way to go for me to ever buy them again. (Going back 10 years though) 😂

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
R888R for me, wear rate seems very good - though I'm pretty smooth and non-aggressive. Grip is excellent, if not comical on the Evo.

Nankang have a long way to go for me to ever buy them again. (Going back 10 years though) 😂

Yeah I understand what your saying, I normally stay well away from Nankangs. I'm on R888R at the moment, so maybe I'll play it safe and get those again.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard a few on car groups say that the AR-1 is better than the R888R in the dry.

Can only take that with a pinch of salt though until you try them yourself.

I believe the M3 Cup cars used the AR-1 this season too and are quicker. Not sure which tyre they used last season though.

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
Avon ZZR's....well better than both! Come in a 20 Treadwear vs 50 with the 888R and AR1. Great tyre and only £100 a corner in 15s.
That's interesting. I hadn't considered Avons. I've found some A048 only slightly more expensive then r888r too.

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
I've heard a few on car groups say that the AR-1 is better than the R888R in the dry.

Can only take that with a pinch of salt though until you try them yourself.

I believe the M3 Cup cars used the AR-1 this season too and are quicker. Not sure which tyre they used last season though.

Choosing tyres is a mindfeild. There all in pretty much the same price bracket at the moment too.

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
I just missed out on some lightly used ZZR and so ended up buying new AR-1's, I currently have r888r fitted, my next track day is on the 7th if the weather is good I should be able to report back some feedback