ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Suspension 1k Budget?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
As title says. Looking for suspension package for a Clio 182 for around the 1k mark (can be slightly over). Done a lot of searching on the forums and lots of people say AST but simply cant afford them at the moment. Seems to come down to the Bilstien B14's or H&R coilovers.

Will be used for traveling to and from trackdays. Not used everyday.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
No suspension works straight out of the box, when you have bump adjustment, rebound adjustment, spring rate, camber, castor, tyre friction coefficient, scrub radius, centre of gravity, etc etc to calculate, it would be a miracle if it was at its best with a days fettling
Nick at Pure will point you in the general direction regards the damper settings and spring rates, and go from there

WRX
Chris at Northampton Motorsport wasn't impressed either. He phoned AVO and they told him to phone Nick, he did and apparently Nick asked why they told him to phone him. I had to buy helper springs to make them fit properly. The springs are too short for the damper, partly because the dampers are long. This also obviously affects the height of the setup. I know I don't want it slammed but it's basically standard ride height.

WRX
Lowest you can go:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1466237449328-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1466237449328-1.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 86
  dan's cast offs.
for around a grand i'd go bc's and set of bump/roll correction hubs off mark. be a bit over but worth it.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I've gone with AST for track as at the time they were the only ones at a reasonable price with a rear coilover. They feel great on track and when the damping is on its softest setting they aren't bad on the roads either...very liveable with to and from track. If I was looking for another set I'd definitely be looking for a set with a rear coilover.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I've gone with AST for track as at the time they were the only ones at a reasonable price with a rear coilover. They feel great on track and when the damping is on its softest setting they aren't bad on the roads either...very liveable with to and from track. If I was looking for another set I'd definitely be looking for a set with a rear coilover.

What is the advantage of a rear coilover over the standard sprint and shock setup. It's so hard to chose when everyone's experience and opinions differ (which is the same in everything).

This is my first track car and will be going out once or twice a month to the local circuits. Maybe in the future I would look at the expensive suspension but can't justify nearly 2k on them at the moment. Plus I'm supposed to be saving for a house but the Mrs doesn't know about this yet :tongueout:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
What is the advantage of a rear coilover over the standard sprint and shock setup. It's so hard to chose when everyone's experience and opinions differ (which is the same in everything).

This is my first track car and will be going out once or twice a month to the local circuits. Maybe in the future I would look at the expensive suspension but can't justify nearly 2k on them at the moment. Plus I'm supposed to be saving for a house but the Mrs doesn't know about this yet :tongueout:

Very little advantage, just easier to adjust. Most people adjust the suspension once or twice and then it never gets touched again.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1

Lol.. Best tell her :tonguewink: I only went with the rear coilovers because the race spec Clios used that set up, so there must be some benefit over a separate spring and damper. May have something to do with the spring over the wheel rather than in board.

WRX
Based on the customer service I have just received, I cannot recommend AVO enough. Has it confirmed that I was on wrong spec and they are swapping it free of charge.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Top service from avo. I have AST's on my track car and I can't fault the actual product but for serviceability and customer service if I was to do it again I would go AVO. I have driven a clio around KH with them in an there wasn't really a great difference between them and the AST's