ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday helmet question

Does anybody know the minimum standard allowed for a trackday helmet. The cheaper ones comply with a EU standard, then there are BS standards and then ACU gold.

Can I use open or full face.

The track day is by Track action if that helps.

Is class A better than class B then, surely motorcyle helmets should be of a higher standard.

do you know what sticker is reqd. as a minimum.

Quote: Originally posted by david16v on 27 June 2004

should be a class A for most track days....motorbike helmets etc are class B

or something like that...
Most motorcycle helmets these days are ACU gold approved. For road use (motorcycles) your helmet has to conform to:

Motorcycles (Protective Helmets) (Amendment) Regulations 2000 (Section 17 Road Traffic Act 1988).

This is now an EU (EEC) rating, but used to be a BSI rating. THe BSI rating always used to be the stricter rating and it is only recently that the EC stamped helmets have been legal for road use in the UK. Most helmets will satisfy both EEC and BSI standards.

The ACU gold and silver standards are applied by the ACU to helmets that are to be used in motorcycle sport in the UK ( I dont know how this relates to track days for cars). The ACU standards are:

ACU Motorcycling GB Gold Approval
Highest standard, necessary for all helmets used in Road Racing and other speed events held wholly or part on sealed metalled surfaces.

ACU Motorcycling GB Silver Approval
Minimum standard necessary for all off-road speed events, held entirely off sealed metalled surfaces.

[Edited by EightBall on 27 June 2004 at 11:57pm]

V

v6Max

The standards for motorbike helmets and motorsport (as in cars) are different. For a start part of the car helmet standard covers the very important issue of fire retardence/protection.

The best way to sort out the right kind of helmet is to go to somewhere like Grand Prix Racewear (Silverstone and Chiswick) and try various ones out.

It is not a good idea to buy online without trying one on because manufacturers have different ideas of what S,M,L etc means. They also have to fit tightly and the inside mouldings vary enormously.

As someone said above it is probably best to go full face. Apart from what they looklike they offer extra protection and if someone offers you a passenger ride in something with no windscreen you definitely want a full face helmet. The only downside to them is the extra heat but most TDOs will let you run them with the visor up.

I have been to quite a few trackdays and never once has anyone actually asked to see proof that my crash helmet is to the appropriate standard but you never know for certain whether they will or not. The other issue is that they will cost you more than a motorbike helmet it just depends on how valuable you think your head is.

Renault Laguna Coupe

The sticker you are looking for should say:

BSI BS 6658-85 Type A

Take no notice of the motorbike oriented stickers - bikers have different requirements than we do. Open face helmets are fine by the way - ask any rally / BTCC driver.

172 Exclusive

I have just ordered a sparco club helmet from demon tweeks for trackdays.

The trackday organisers do not check your helmet to be honest.

GTiR 394bhp

For comfort,an open face helmet is better as you really get hot under a full face one.I still went for full face though becasue if I have a smash I dont want to bang my face on the steering wheel(non airbag car).