ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracker systems - advice

Black 182 + Recaros

Has anyone purchased the RAC Trackstar security system.

I have been looking at the RAC system and also the Tracker system, but not sure which one to go for.

Any comments.

Thanks.

BG 182, R26

Ive been looking into them aswell. The main problem I can see with the RAC one is that it is tracked by satellite so as soon as the car is under any thick cover eg. metal container box, underground car park, garage etc. the tracking station will loose the signal.

If you go for the Tracker horizon it uses both satellite tracking and land based radio so you wont have this problem.

The main down side to the Tracker is that you cant transfer it from car to car, once fitted it stays with that car where as the RAC one can be transferred.

In the end I have decided on the Tracker horizon because Im spending the money to protect my car more than anything else.

Hope this helps.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

have a look at this website.....had an idea that you could the system to track your car....pretty sure you rig the mobile so it couldnt be seen and keep charging too....

http://www.mapamobile.comwww.mapamobile.com

Black 182 + Recaros

Bubba - That sounds like a very good cheap solution. Although you would need to disable all sound on the mobile, as the company sends out regular text messages.

Atomic - Agree with you mate, if your gonna pay that much money you want something that offers the best protection.

I was thinking of the Tracker Horizon. Seems like very a good package. Its a shame these tracking systems cost so much. If they were cheaper then more people would buy them, and maybe less cars would be nicked.

Black 182 + Recaros

182blue - Wouldnt they find your car before it gets anywhere near a container ? They know immediately that the car has been taken, and should be able to locate it very quickly. Maybe its not that simple. I guess it depends how quickly the Police respond.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

thankyou.....

we have a tracker on the evo (Monitor version)...have to have it for insurance purposes.....have no idea how good it is because (touches every piece of wood in sight) weve never had to use it.....

didnt really want to pay out for it on mine...so thought the mobile idea might work....

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 21 January 2005

tbh both there signals can be blocked when put into a container etc , so i would go for the cheapest

I suppose this is assuming that people abroad want a clio enough to ship them out that way.

Its not exactly and exotic car is it

Elise/VX220/R26

to be honest if someone nicked my car Id rather not have it back! I suppose if you did get it back youd save your NCB, just keep your keys safe. Using the keys is the only way someones gonna nick a 172. They are a bit of a waste of money IMO my mate had to pay 500 quid (insurance insisted) on an MG zs 120 lol I suppose if someones missed the last bus they might be tempted to nick it. Unless its a show car loaded with £1000s worth of ice the cash might be better spent on a clifford or something

Black 182 + Recaros

I have some expensive mods on my car (suspension, wheels etc), if the car gets nicked the insurance company wont replace these.
They charge me a higher premium but wouldnt pay out for any of the extras. B*stards.

So Id rather get the car back if possible. If your car gets nicked, you have the hassle of no car, and also your out of pocket.
So if the tracker manages to find and return the car, then I would be very happy.

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 22 January 2005 at 4:35pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba 182 on 21 January 2005
thankyou.....we have a tracker on the evo (Monitor version)...have to have it for insurance purposes.....have no idea how good it is because (touches every piece of wood in sight) weve never had to use it.....didnt really want to pay out for it on mine...so thought the mobile idea might work....

Monitor?

Isnt that the one where you just leave handbrake off.. set it.. then push it back a bit and they ring ya? :)

Could try it I guess, hehe.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I have a RAC Trackstar on my car. Fitted by previous owner

The RAC 1 has an added bonus of the Emergency an breakdown call feature. theres a small button that you can press which connects you straight to a RAC operater which will either call the emergency services or organise breakdown recovery, they obviously know exactly where you are!

And because the RAC run the Traffic master network (blue cameras on bridges etc) they can also use this to track your car, as i understand may be wrong!

Never had a tracker tho so cant compare.

D

Dynamic Devil

I would personally go for the Tracker system.

The main advantage that this has over the majority of other systems is that even when the vehicle is in a container the vehicle can still be tracked as on all three products they use radio wave frequency tracking which is basically the same as where you recieve reption on your mobile phone.

Disadvantage is however that it cannot be tranferred from vehicle to vehicle but this would be an added selling point when selling the vehicle.