ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking OUT but not solved?!?!

Hi everyone! I have a bit of an issue that I just cannot seem for the life of me to figure out and I was hoping that they may be a chance some of you may have a clue!

My tracking has been out for a little while so last month I took it to get a 4 wheel laser alignment.. to no success? He said he had it aligned properly on the machine and the printouts but my steering wheel is still facing left! Since then I have taken it to 2 other places, all say it is aligned properly?

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my tracking may still be out, I did however require a new squib to be fitted to my steering wheel a few months ago, just wondering if the steering wheel could not of been put back on properly (or do they only go on one way, like on splines?) Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds like the steering wheel wasn't centered properly when doing the alignment. The alignment itself is nothing to do with the steering wheel, it's just positioned straight before doing the alignment.

Sounds like the steering wheel wasn't centered properly when doing the alignment. The alignment itself is nothing to do with the steering wheel, it's just positioned straight before doing the alignment.

Thanks for the reply, so I'm guessing the steering wheel doesn't only fit on "one way" on like a splines? If so ill remove the steering wheel tomorrow and center it, as I'm pretty sure my tracking is bang on, as I have no uneven tire wear!

The steering wheel only fits one way and the squib also fits the steering wheel one way.

It is a pet peeve when the steering wheel isn't centered, but as to the problems with the garages saying its aligned correctly, I'm confused as when you would center the steering shell it would surely turn the wheels thus the tracking will be out.

Try asking them to center the steering wheel when you take it for tracking.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
They SHOULD have used a device to keep the wheel straight when the alignment was done. I would be going back and saying that the steering wheel is off centre, please can they correct it!

FF Racing Blue 182
My wheel is the same.....bloody pain in the arse just one of the things I'm looking to get fixed this month

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As said, the wheel cannot be moved. If you take it back it'll be done FOC as it's quite a common mistake.

Bloke opens the door, fits the steering wheel retainer not quite straight, does all the work. Drive out, and it drives mint but the wheel's not straight.

CursedTitanium 182FF
It's a pi$$er when you have a 300mm steering wheel :race: as the steering wheel retainer never fits properly.