ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Traction control removed

Clio 182
I’ve just bought a Clio 182 and have noticed the traction control button has been removed and blanked out!! And the traction control light doesn’t eliminate when I switch on the ignition. Does that mean the whole lot had been ripped out? Can it still pass an mot like this? Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I’ve just bought a Clio 182 and have noticed the traction control button has been removed and blanked out!! And the traction control light doesn’t eliminate when I switch on the ignition. Does that mean the whole lot had been ripped out? Can it still pass an mot like this? Cheers
Is there any wiring behind where the switch was?

It shouldn't fail an MOT but don't know the new rules. I don't see how something that is switchable is an mot failure imho

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
You'll probably be OK, depends how well the tester knows the 182 as they might twig the button has been removed. IIRC it's stability control not just traction control, so it's testable. These are the criteria:

You must check all vehicles fitted with electronic stability control other than Class 3 vehicles.

Electronic stability control is also referred to as ESC, ESP, VDC, and DSC, among many other names. Some systems may be able to be switched off by a switch, whilst others might only be able to be switched off using an electronic menu system.

The dashboard warning lamp for these systems might take various forms and you should only fail a vehicle if you’re certain that the warning lamp is indicating an ESC malfunction. You might need to check the owner’s handbook.

DefectCategory
(a) Wheel speed sensors missing or damagedMajor
(b) ESC wiring damagedMajor
(c) Other ESC component missing or damagedMajor
(d) ESC switch damaged or not functioning correctlyMajor
(e) ESC MIL indicates a system malfunctionMajor