ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transferring a plate

172 cup
My car was recently declared a total loss and initially I asked to keep the plate which the insurers have no problem with. I am however going to pick up a VX220T next week. The old plate (FXI 172) will hardly be much use with the new car although I had intended on selling it but I don't want to pay to have the plate held over and then not be able to sell it. Has anyone any experience of selling a plate? I can't really be arsed with the effort and cost of retaining the plate if its not likely I will be able to sell it in the foreseeable future. Any advice appreciated.

This is just your attempt at another for sale ad isnt it?

Because your last one was removed due to you not being a full member..

172 cup
No, its genuinely not. I did attempt to post an ad before to sell it but after reading the rules realised it had been moved for that reason. I Cant use the regtransfers auction facility because I am from Northern Ireland (why that is I dont know) and was wondering if anyone had experience of selling a plate. Obviously I need to get it done pretty quickly or theres no point. I'm looking for advice rather than a sale this time.

Retaining the plate costs £120 ? or there abouts then £25 a year therafter i think.

Get the insurance Co to pay the initial fee to retain the plate

(They will do this if you push)

Clio RS 200
No, its genuinely not. I did attempt to post an ad before to sell it but after reading the rules realised it had been moved for that reason. I Cant use the regtransfers auction facility because I am from Northern Ireland (why that is I dont know) and was wondering if anyone had experience of selling a plate. Obviously I need to get it done pretty quickly or theres no point. I'm looking for advice rather than a sale this time.

Revels sees the worst in everyone.lol

172 cup
I can try and speak to the insurance company about this although I'm not sure they'd be too keen on the idea. My worry is paying the money and then hearing nothing about it again. What a waste of money, am thinking I might just let them scrap the car on the plate to be honest.

kk, well selling a plate is a pain. You have a fairly decent one but ignore all the sites that offer to "buy" it from you. They wont. They'll tell you its worth £1k. You stick it on their site and it will never sell.

Best bet is to put it on retention then stick it on eBay.

kk, well selling a plate is a pain. You have a fairly decent one but ignore all the sites that offer to "buy" it from you. They wont. They'll tell you its worth £1k. You stick it on their site and it will never sell.

Best bet is to put it on retention then stick it on eBay.

172 cup
Yeah I thought the valuations were a bit silly. It'll cost me £120 to put it on retention and then probably £85 to transfer it to another car and so it'll be costing £200. I wouldn't be expecting to get an awful lot more than that to be honest so I suppose it may not be worth my while.

MX-5 Sport
Yeah I thought the valuations were a bit silly. It'll cost me £120 to put it on retention and then probably £85 to transfer it to another car and so it'll be costing £200. I wouldn't be expecting to get an awful lot more than that to be honest so I suppose it may not be worth my while.
Your costs are wrong.

It will cost you £80 to transfer it to another vehicle that you own - but you won't be able to do that as you theoretically are no longer the RK of your previous car.

You need to place the plate on retention, and this will cost the £80 transfer fee plus £25 for 12 months retention. WIthin the next 12 months you can sell (£25 to add a nominee if you sell it), or apply to put it onto another car at no cost to yourself.

See Direct.gov.uk (http://direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022575) for further information.

172 cup
Thanks for that man, I see where I was going wrong. It might be worth sticking it on retention and then I suppose if it didnt sell I could just put it on Ebay

MX-5 Sport
Thanks for that man, I see where I was going wrong. It might be worth sticking it on retention and then I suppose if it didnt sell I could just put it on Ebay
I would. I love my cherished plate but then it is personal to me, rather than the car. I'd still put it on the VX, why not?

172 cup
I had seen another plate on reg transfers which is perfectly matched to my surname and it was on the site advertised cheaper than my plate. Ideally I would ask to do a swap but then its regtransfers and so they arent gonna facilitate that as they wont be making any money from it. If I could get it sold even for a similar price to the plate I'm after that would be cool but I'll have to see what happens.

A plate with 172 on it is gonna be worth less and less as the values of the car goes down I would imagine.

172 cup
Stuck it on PH there as a standard advert which appears to be hard to find on there. How come they let me place an ad on there but you won't on here.

Elitist bas@rds;)