ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripod Help!

Hi All,

Quick bit of advice needed!

I have just acquired a Miranda pro 3 tripod and it appears to have a quick release mount fitted to the top (spring loaded trigger catch thingy)... However it is missing the plate and screw that slots in to the quick release mount to connect the thread underneath my camera.

Does anyone know where I can get a new plate with a screw in? (Tried ebay but know idea what search term to use).

If not I may have a go at making one, so does anyone know what thread size/bolt length I would need for a Canon 450D?

These are the sizes I keep coming across 1/4 inch, 20 threads per inch or 3/8 inch is often used for tripod head mounts and larger cameras.

Cheers,
Sam

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Do you know the old owner of the tripod?
It might still be screwed into the base of his camera, I had mine on the bottom of my camera for years,
was just easier than running the risk of losing it.

Thanks for the reply mate, unfortunately the tripod came out of my grandparents loft when we emptied the whole lot out, so all I have is the tripod stand itself. Anything else either was lost, never there to start with or made its way into the bin!

Cheers, if I get no luck I might get my brother to weld me a plate and 1/4" bolt together to slot on top

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
How about this then?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76935/show.html

AJESSTR505151975.jpg

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Just found the on a photography forum.

The Miranda Camera Co. manufactured cameras and accessories between about 1953 and 1978. They were distributed in the UK by Mayfair Photographic Suppliers, who I think were part of the Photopia Group, which merged with Johnsons of Hendon to become Johnsons Photopia.

ColinC is right that the Miranda name was later acquired by Dixons, who marketed products sourced from other suppliers.

I've read that the plate from a Cullmann tripod will fit, but have not been able to confirm this. A friendly photo dealer might let you try one out if you take your Miranda tripod along.

Just found the on a photography forum.

That's brilliant! Great detective work. I managed to get as far as Dixons earlier haha... I knew it would be ancient coming from the grandparents, but other than the missing plate, it looks like a fairly solid bit of kit :)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If you can find a rectangular plate that's the right size it might just be a case of adapting it
with a round file or something, you said the tripod has a groove so some bodge work might be in order.

That's fair enough but the price it will cost you to make/buy the base plate you could just buy a whole new tripod for £20 of the same quality.

Very true, although my brother will love the challenge as he is currently training as an apprentice mechanical engineer. If he bodges it up I'll swallow the 20 quid and invest in a new one :)