ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripods for SLR

Revels Mum & Sister
Thinking its about time I bought a Tripod to use with my D80.

I have been looking at some Manfrotto ones but is a bit mind boggling to be honest, I want something that is fairly portable to carry around but still nice and stable. I guess up to about £130-150.

What do you guys use?

Revels Mum & Sister
Arse should have been in Tech chat can someone move in please.

Looking to spend a bit more to be honest. I have used a couple of cheap tripods the past few months and was not impressed felt like they were going to fall over. Will have a look though

Revels Mum & Sister
Ah ok fair enough, your obviously more of a Pro than me..!

I am FAR FAR from a Pro mate, just I tried a cheap one with the D80 and with the 80-200mm Lens I have been using thats about 2.2KG worth of weight. It nearly fell a few times on the cheap tripods when the wind blew and wasnt majorly stable. If I bust the lens I have to pay someone for it.

Thanks Lee your a dweamboat ;)

Revels Mum & Sister
Will have a read about the Manfrotto JJ just a bit wary on uneven ground it would not be majorly stable.

Thats the one I was looking at Lee, will have a look at that range Mcbunny

Lee

BMW M2C
I asked the guy in Jessops when I was buying mine. One the things I wanted was stable. He said that one was very stable, and he wasn't lying. It's very heavy either. But weight wasn't a massive concern of mine as I don't tend to carry it very far.

Lee

BMW M2C
I've used the monopod a lot more, especially as I'm usually tracking a car when I've got a large heavy lens on.

The tripod is more useful for taking pictures of naked women lying on my bed. Hence it's not had a lot of use!

I've used the monopod a lot more, especially as I'm usually tracking a car when I've got a large heavy lens on.

The tripod is more useful for taking pictures of naked women lying on my bed. Hence it's not had a lot of use!

what monopod are you using? and which head if any!

106 GTi
I got a Slik one from London Camera Exchange, not something I use often so did not go crazy but seems decent quality and very sturdy.

The one Lee suggests would seem fine for what you need, although anything by Manfrotto is usually pretty darn good. If you intend to work in windy conditions (i.e. on the coast or on motorway bridges in winter!) it may be worth checking you can hang a rucksack from whichever you choose, makes it far more sturdy.

I don't use a tripod but I have a Manfrotto monopod and head, build quality is fantastic.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I bough one for 4.99 last minute ebay bargain...

its quite good, sterdy, well built.. and has some sort of air Ram to give it a little boost in height.

Has a 360degree swivel head, tilts sideways, handle adjusts how easy to turn etc... little beast.

:)

Holds up my 400D with some pretty Hefty lens'

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have a manfroto magfiber tripod was about £280 also have a manfroto ball head with quick release head and a manfroto grip release ball head and a manfroto monopod lol

Use a Velbon 250R for landscape shots, can hold a 350D + 70-200 F4 + 430EX flash. Not very portable though unless you've got a camera bag that holds a tripod easily.

Picked it up for about 55quid...

Revels Mum & Sister
Cool will google all these apart from the ones Alice mentioned ;)

Will mainly be used down at the coast to be honest and for night time stuff.