ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Depreciation

Clio 182 Trophy

What do you think a nice Trophy would be worth around next March time, as that would be the kinda period I would be looking at getting one.
Do you think the car will depreciate as fast as the standard 182 or Cup? I suspect the limited run will only slightly slow it down.
Discuss.

Lee,I recon the 2nd link is just using the tropy pics to sell the std182s. It offers a choice of colours:eek:

Simon

Lee

BMW M2C

Highly likely, I noticed after I posted, the same advert a few pages on which was for the Trophy.

Of course there is always the possibility the dealer thinks its available in other colours, you know what they are like.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 23 July 2005
2nd link id standard 182 lee without CUP packs

I should have clicked the other pictures. Kinda gives it away. Doh.

In my opinion it will depreciate just as much as the other 182s. Although I like the car and would like to own one its just a marketing gimmick really, it doesnt have any racing heritage to make it any more special than the rest really.

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS

Since when has making a car handle even better using high-spec dampers been a "marketing gimmick"?

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 23 July 2005
I wouldnt like to have to replace one of those units in 3 years time!

Yeh imagine the scnario "yes that will be £350 a corner to replace sir" "Umm can you give me the price for some Cup shocks instead please??"

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Who says theyre going to fail in 3 years? They arent cheap renault crap you know! ;)

Next March will be the odd time where 182s will have long gone, and the new RS Clio will be heading our way. The new RS Clio will be bigger, heavier, comfier etc so people may want the good ol little rocket and be willing to pay for it. Who knows?!

182 Trophy

When you go to a dealer to enquire about the trophy they make out they are selling like hotcakes and you need to buy one now or you will be too late. Why is it the price keeps dropping week by week. You can get them new for lower than what Masters are selling ex-demos for

Quote: Originally posted by Nik on 23 July 2005
Who says theyre going to fail in 3 years? They arent cheap renault crap you know! ;)

After 3 years of track abuse Id be surprised if you havent had to change them ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Id better make sure I buy a worse handling car next time for fear of large repair bills in 3 years time. ;) Like I keep cars more than 18 months. lol

One thing the Trophy does have going for it over the rest of the range, like the Cup, is that its different and not so appealing to the main stream buyer. The Cup not having ABS or aircon, the Trophy with its hard ride are both things to put some people off them. Because of that neither sold in massive numbers unlike the rest of the range. The new Clio will, Im sure, we quick, handle superbly and go well but it will have to cater for the masses so wont be as focused on its track manners as the Cup or Trophy. For that reason the Cup and Trophy will always be worth a little more than the rest of the range models from there time as the Williams is today.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I agree mate.

until, that is, we get "new Clio Cup"

Renault have discovered a winning formula here. I cant see them abandoning it with the new Clio. Dont think well be seeing that until 2007 though.

CTR

Agree with the above posts - ok, so the Trophy has better handling etc than the current 182, but Renault have had so many great reviews on the 172 / 182 etc that the only way that depreciation on all models wont take a pounding when the new RS Clio is out is if they somehow manage to release a vastly inferior car.

Even given the stupidity of some of the people that Renault seem to employ in this country, surely they wouldnt be THAT dumb.....! :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Red Cup on 23 July 2005

Since when has making a car handle even better using high-spec dampers been a "marketing gimmick"?
Of corse its a maketing gimmick!! They have sh!t loads of clios left to sell so they though why not stick some fancy springs on it and make it a limted edition, that will make people buy them. Itll work as well, Renault are clever like that.

Quote: Originally posted by Enid on 24 July 2005

Of corse its a maketing gimmick!! They have sh!t loads of clios left to sell so they though why not stick some fancy springs on it and make it a limted edition, that will make people buy them. Itll work as well, Renault are clever like that.
To be fair it is better than the stock 182 with Cup bits. The only problem IMO is the rear now needs some work I kept having back thourght about having th back stepping out. Even if it does stick Id still like some more stability back there.

Clio Cup

Thats one of things i didnt like about the cup its light rear jumping about on bumpy corners.

I dont think its a marketing exercise otherwise it would have been made in unlimited numbers to sell as many as possible. They used ragnotti to develop it (maybe they should have named it after him though) and its the sought of car that would appeal to a very small audience.

Quote: Originally posted by Red Cup on 23 July 2005

Then I suppose every car is a "marketing gimmick" ?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 24 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Enid on 24 July 2005Of corse its a maketing gimmick!! They have sh!t loads of clios left to sell so they though why not stick some fancy springs on it and make it a limted edition, that will make people buy them. Itll work as well, Renault are clever like that.[/QUOTE]To be fair it is better than the stock 182 with Cup bits. The only problem IMO is the rear now needs some work I kept having back thourght about having th back stepping out. Even if it does stick Id still like some more stability back there.

Thats how its meant to handle. FWD hatches need to have a lose rear to a degree. If you speak to anyone who races Clios theyll tell you the front end is pointy and the rear is lose, basically stopping it dragging its ass.

Enid, have you ever driven one? If you had you would know that it handles a lot better than the rest of the range. Anyone who has driven both (except Dave182 who cant drive anyway) will say the same.

Its as much a gimmick as the Williams was. You can go on about it being a homologation special but surely a car derived from a car which has been raced for the last 4/5 years is going to be better setup!! Quick rebore, slightly wider, stickers and some blue carpets certainly say gimmick to me. Okay so that mags proclaimed it the best hot hatch of it generation, as they have the Trophy, but of course neither car can be as the are both nothing more than marketing gimmicks arent they?

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 25 July 2005

To be fair it is better than the stock 182 with Cup bits. The only problem IMO is the rear now needs some work I kept having back thourght about having th back stepping out. Even if it does stick Id still like some more stability back there.
Thats how its meant to handle. FWD hatches need to have a lose rear to a degree. If you speak to anyone who races Clios theyll tell you the front end is pointy and the rear is lose, basically stopping it dragging its ass.
I agree with you and so does ever racing driver even the insructers at the track said the back end being as it was was helping laptimes however Im still a little apprehesive with a light rear end on a car after all a light rear end of my dci caused me to crash (ok other factors were present but its the one thing I remember most)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 25 July 2005

Enid, have you ever driven one? If you had you would know that it handles a lot better than the rest of the range. Anyone who has driven both (except Dave182 who cant drive anyway) will say the same.

Its as much a gimmick as the Williams was. You can go on about it being a homologation special but surely a car derived from a car which has been raced for the last 4/5 years is going to be better setup!! Quick rebore, slightly wider, stickers and some blue carpets certainly say gimmick to me. Okay so that mags proclaimed it the best hot hatch of it generation, as they have the Trophy, but of course neither car can be as the are both nothing more than marketing gimmicks arent they?
Lee, im not knocking its handling at all, i havnt driven one but im sure it is probably the best handling current hot hatch about without a doubt.