ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trouble with Flywheel, gearbox, or both. Please help!

clio 172
Hi there guys, greetings from the other side of the pond. Anyway, my 172 (non cup) is acting funny. I´m getting a hissing sound on second and fourth gear only.

I´ve ruled out input and output bearings as the noise is limited to those two gears.

Gear linkage is ruled out as well since fourth and second are in different selector, right?

Here´s where it gets tricky:

I´ve ruled out the clutch release bearing as well, the sound continues to be heard even if step on the clutch! Picture this: the car´s parked, clutch depressed, I rev the car up to 4000 rpm. I go into first gear and the car´s quiet. I put it into fourth or second and I get this hiss! I mean, the gearbox isn´t moving, and during this time the clutch was always depressed.

I don´t know for how long this has been going on (the engine´s pretty loud, plus my radio´s always loud), I actually noticed the hiss doing a little sprint as it was audible over the engine sound.

Now this gets even trickier... if I hold the revs at 3000 on neutral, the whole car shakes. It shakes just as much as on a cold morning start, so it´s pretty noticeable. If I get past 3K the shaking sorts itself out. At 3K revs with any gear engaged I don´t get any extra shaking, I´m guessing the gearbox acts as a damper (harmonic balancer?).

But why am I getting the freaking hiss?? it´s driving me nucking futs
I haven´t rushed the changes, fact is I dont get grinding and gears are not hard to change or anything. The car has 50K miles on the clock and this is the original clutch! Maybe all 172 boxes hiss on second and fourth gear.There´s only a handful of 172s and 182s in my city
( literally!) so I can´t compare it to another clio. Checked the oil, level is ok, clutch doesn´t slip.

Could any of you shed a light on this matter? before I take the gearbox apart lol! Any help will be greatly appreciated, I´ll be taking the car to a trackday on a couple of weeks :race: and I´d like the car to handle like it should.