ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trump vs Huwaei

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
So Google have been forced to end the licencing of android to Huwaei because of trumps trading restrictions on American companies dealing with them. How this affects Huwaei in future will be interesting. Google revenue will also be impacted for a couple of years until Huwaei owners possibly jump ship when their contracts renew.
BBC News - Huawei's use of Android restricted by Google

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer i saw this earlier and was going to make a post about it. Huawei are screwed now in my opinion and can see all the major networks here dropping their phones.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if I can send mine back?

If your quick you may be lucky before the news spreads, im sure EE etc are going to be fully aware. They are probably trying to send the phones back to Huawei themselves haha

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Where would owners stand from a legal point of view?. Had mine about 8 or so months i think

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really not sure, something like this hasn't happened before. I guess you could argue that without an app store the phone may not be fit for purpose?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It’s not going to make google apps suddenly stop working, they just can’t make any new phones with them on.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea current models are ok and will continue to receive updates and stuff, so you've no leg to stand on if you try and send it back.

It's future models that will be hit, so the next P40 will be Chinese only I'd imagine.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The BBC says this

Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services.

But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices.

Future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst it says you can still "update" apps, will you still be able to download new apps in the store?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
They won’t be getting the new “Google” version of Android when it releases later in the year, although Huawei can still release one based on the open source code.

Just means it might take a bit longer than usual to push out to people. Although apparently the version they use in China is different anyway, so who knows what they’ll do.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Whilst it says you can still "update" apps, will you still be able to download new apps in the store?

Yea they said updates to Google Services will continue so you can install new apps off the store.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Could this maybe increase the value of current huawei phones? Being the last of them that work. I don’t own one just curious.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I was literally about to get a p30 yesterday but local car phone warehouse didn't have a black one.
Not sure if got lucky escape.
Need to see what comes about in news over next few days

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Bit s**t, was going to upgrade my P20 for the P30 Mate or whatever comes next at the end of this year, but guess I'll have to stick with it or go back to Samsung or simialr

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ll guarantee that there will be a simple way of getting the play store on them, the same as it is on Amazon stuff.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
A real shame considering P30 Pro has the best camera going at the moment. It's almost a bit suspicious that before that phone came out, the Pixel line had the best camera... now Google have stopped them in their tracks :unsure:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
A real shame considering P30 Pro has the best camera going at the moment. It's almost a bit suspicious that before that phone came out, the Pixel line had the best camera... now Google have stopped them in their tracks :unsure:

It’s not google it’s the us gov’t

Intel, Qualcomm, google - all American companies are cutting ties for fear of reprisals from the gov’t

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It’s more baffling it’s taken so long.

The level of involvement they have in critical infrastructure across “the west” is massive. More baffling is how incoherent Government strategy is when dealing with things like this.

The requirements as an individual to work with the government are fairly onerous. But realistically, one person can’t do that much damage. But the west has allowed a foreign company almost unfettered access to lots of critical infrastructure. Bizarre.

Either you’re scared of the Chinese or you’re not.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
If the ban continues past the 90 day window it will be more than just Huawei themselves who are affected by a huge decrease in western sales. Think of all the tech companies ( some US ) that supply them with hardware.
Also, the title is a typo..

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I think it’s clear Trump either doesn’t understand or care about thinking through past a single decision.

His continued use and misunderstanding of tariffs show that.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Huawei and Supermicro are both run by dodgy turds who let Chinese officials walk into their factories and install components for bugging and data grabbing. Obama and Trump have been trying to get rid of Chinese components in the White House for years, probably for good reason.

We had a massive scare at work as it was found that some of their servers contained a chip on the MB about the same size as the tip of a pencil capable of harvesting and relaying data as soon as it was given power. Apple, Amazon and Google were using said servers too and they fell victim, we got very lucky.

I'm not really surprised that the US want to ban them... Their phones are bloody good though?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
60810032_2552682894766619_308030029357383680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I hope this sets the precedent for not letting them contribute to our 5G network in the UK

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Networks like EE made announcements like that last year, although apparently have been using their kit anyway??

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I hope this sets the precedent for not letting them contribute to our 5G network in the UK

Last I heard they were allowed to be part of the edge network but not the core, problem is Huawei are suppling most of the tech for 5G and no one else is really close on cost/technology so could be a big hit.