ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tuning options?

i just want a fast day to day car, will rarely see the track tbh

i would like a nice jap car but for me insurance is a bit of a issue as im 19

and well i like my hatchs

Not forgetting Jap rhymes with Crap.

rhyming is the only similarity though, Jap cars are MUCH better than anything France can produce, lets try and be realistic here...

hmm, Clio or Evo? ... tough one... lol

Clio 172 mk2
I imagine a bit of work to the transmision and brakes would be in order too with such a power hike

rebuilt box with ATB wouldn't go amiss I think yeah, wouldn't imagine it's necessary though...

for brakes the 172's are amazing as it is imo, set of good pads is all you need after owning a Williams ;) lol

That kind of depends on the circumstance. On a dry straight road, what you say might be true. But throw in some loose grvel, rain, or mud, or even a high curb and anything over circa 190 bhp will be wasted on a off the shelf set up.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not forgetting Jap rhymes with Crap.

rhyming is the only similarity though, Jap cars are MUCH better than anything France can produce, lets try and be realistic here...

Slightly different cars. Even comparing CTRs and 172s... The 172s are typically what? £3k cheaper or there abouts.

If you're going up to Evo money. I would buy German everytime. E36 M3 with forced induction?? What's going to walk away from that???

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
for brakes the 172's are amazing as it is imo, set of good pads is all you need after owning a Williams ;) lol

I wish this site hadn't gone down the forum only route and still had the scanned in magazine articles.

Had the Autocar 0-100-0 test one year and the Clio beat a lot of the exotica 100-0, 3.9something seconds it got.

Clio 172 mk2
rebuilt box with ATB wouldn't go amiss I think yeah, wouldn't imagine it's necessary though...

The brakes are good....I'm runing stock setup and they're better than the brakes on my 19 16v and Subaru and those had decent pads on and drilled & grooved discs.

Jap cars are generally good....great performance for the money if your careful and don't buy a complete lemon.

Slightly different cars. Even comparing CTRs and 172s... The 172s are typically what? £3k cheaper or there abouts.

If you're going up to Evo money. I would buy German everytime. E36 M3 with forced induction?? What's going to walk away from that???

completely different yes, however 'Jap crap' refers to all of them and at the end of the day the japs build FAR better cars than the French. They are well ahead of the game.

172's are cheaper than Civic Type R's for a reason ;)

Im not sure the Japanese do build better cars than the French. That is if you are French, a French car is ideally suited to you. The French tend to be the sort of people who wont spend money on things they dont have to. A visit to France and a count of the amount of battered, rusty, but cheap diesel cars there are driving around is testiment to this (mostly white). I think the historic reasons the French build cheap, small, poorly built cars is that this is what the French people like. I know this is a generalisation, but the evidence seems broadly to support this if you go and speak with French people.

Just as in Germany there is a strong ethos for great engineering, and the cars reflect this. In Japan, high technology is the thing (computer chips etc), and a look at thier performance cars and historically everything is computer controlled.

In Britain, the problem is that we are just too boring. Hence all rovers were boring. No one else wanted them so the company went bust.

Its obviously a bit of fun, but you can see there are patterns to this.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

completely different yes, however 'Jap crap' refers to all of them and at the end of the day the japs build FAR better cars than the French. They are well ahead of the game.

172's are cheaper than Civic Type R's for a reason ;)

Im not sure the Japanese do build better cars than the French. That is if you are French, a French car is ideally suited to you. The French tend to be the sort of people who wont spend money on things they dont have to. A visit to France and a count of the amount of battered, rusty, but cheap diesel cars there are driving around is testiment to this (mostly white). I think the historic reasons the French build cheap, small, poorly built cars is that this is what the French people like. I know this is a generalisation, but the evidence seems broadly to support this if you go and speak with French people.

Just as in Germany there is a strong ethos for great engineering, and the cars reflect this. In Japan, high technology is the thing (computer chips etc), and a look at thier performance cars and historically everything is computer controlled.

In Britain, the problem is that we are just too boring. Hence all rovers were boring. No one else wanted them so the company went bust.

Its obviously a bit of fun, but you can see there are patterns to this.

I'm talking about general build quality and reliability, which imo are some of the most important factors to a car, they also know how to make a great handling and unbelievably fast saloon and hatch. French cars are great for their purpose, but if you want to go fast reliably I dont think you can beat the japanese personally.

just go for cams and mapping, ITB's are only worth getting if your going to keep the car and want to do some crazy stuff to it imo

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yes they're cheaper, but what are you getting??

A loud obnoxious car that's made to go faster than the average. Not something that you'd want to drive to a relatives funeral in. It applies to both, so really it just comes down to the reliability thing. I love the "Honda Myth" that not a single VTEC engine has ever blown up but that's against the laws of physics anyway.

So, I'd say for a 40,000 miler, albeit the 172 might be a year or so older, but that equates to roughly a £3k difference. Now maybe the CTR is a little faster on the strip to start with, but nothing you'd notice day to day. And if those milliseconds of speed is what you're after. £3k of mods on a 172 should take it to a level of not even bothering to wipe it's arse with CTRs.

Again, depends what you want to do. As I understand you can get SC kits for a CTR for £3k, but then you're looking at £12k for something that's going to end up understeering into a tree.

And yes, s**t forum, I've typed this 3 times now.

I already have a Clio and I dont know where the CTR comes into it? You said Jap crap, I said Jap cars are better, I didn't actually bother to say which Jap car is better than a Clio 172, who cares, Jap cars are better built and more reliable in general terms. I dont think you can argue that. They cost more because of this and retian better value on like for like models... so all this talk of saving money and mods blah blah blah is completely irrelevant, you may as well talk to yourself.

Also why do they have to be loud? Surely that's individual preference? lol. You're off your head mate, this isn't a CTR Vs 1*2 thread, did you hit reply to the wrong thread? lol

M

mini-valver

A loud obnoxious car that's made to go faster than the average. Not something that you'd want to drive to a relatives funeral in. It applies to both, so really it just comes down to the reliability thing. I love the "Honda Myth" that not a single VTEC engine has ever blown up but that's against the laws of physics anyway.

So, I'd say for a 40,000 miler, albeit the 172 might be a year or so older, but that equates to roughly a £3k difference. Now maybe the CTR is a little faster on the strip to start with, but nothing you'd notice day to day. And if those milliseconds of speed is what you're after. £3k of mods on a 172 should take it to a level of not even bothering to wipe it's arse with CTRs.

Again, depends what you want to do. As I understand you can get SC kits for a CTR for £3k, but then you're looking at £12k for something that's going to end up understeering into a tree.

No one claimed that, The 'myth' is that none of the VTEC's have ever gone wrong due to engineering issues.....

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol jap cars are strong, my bro has had his 96 civic for 3 years, never serviced it, never changed the oil, turns the key and gives it death!

never misses a beat, id hate to think what would happen if i did the same in the clio

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

No one claimed that, The 'myth' is that none of the VTEC's have ever gone wrong due to engineering issues.....

Yup it's not that no vtec engine has never blown up, it's that no engine has failed as a result of the VTEC system failling.

Think of it as the opposite of the M3 Evo engines with the Vanos system :)