ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Conversion..

E60 diesel powah
i been thinkin lately about doing a 1.2 turbo conversion...

what would be involved?

Thanks

Immi

172 cup'd extreme
The main problem will be the pistons, standard run highish compression you could run standard but you need some type of water injection.

You could also see if any of the TCE engine parts will fit yours such as the exhaust manifold etc.

E60 diesel powah
Thanks for the reply mate,

What i wanted to know mostly is what would i be needing?

i.e, turbo/manifolds/intercooler etc!

I would rather have my 1.2 turbo'd as am not getting insured on a faster car for a long time lol

172 cup'd extreme
Depending on the output goad say 120bhp for starters, you'd need a map sensor capable of reading more then 1 bar of boost, lower compression pistons, exhaust manifold with a compatable flange for the turbo of your choice, some higher out put injectors, a turbo such as a T2 or T2.5, exhaust downpipe. i would also run an oil cooler and charge cooler rather than an air to air cooler. you may also need some other parts such as an uprated clutch, recirculating dump valve

172 cup'd extreme
You could do it on a budget, the most expensive thing i can forsee is the cost of having an exhaust manifold built, a cast one would be the cheapest way like the type that ktec and BB use on their 172 turbo conversions.
Other parts could be had on ebay or scrap yards.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
what PSI would the plastic inlet take? you may need a stanalone managment.

rough guess for prices would be

turbo @ £400 for a t2 recon
manifold £500-700
injectors £300
clutch £300
intercooler £450 with pipework
water injection £400
pistons in labour, £750-£1000
gaskets seals etc £500
re map standard euc £300 if standalone £1600 inc mapping
dump valve, brackets, odds and sods say £400-£700

so you could do it for £4500 for stock ecu if it would work

extra £100 if not

R35 GTR
what PSI would the plastic inlet take? you may need a stanalone managment.

rough guess for prices would be

turbo @ £400 for a t2 recon
manifold £500-700
injectors £300
clutch £300
intercooler £450 with pipework
water injection £400
pistons in labour, £750-£1000
gaskets seals etc £500
re map standard euc £300 if standalone £1600 inc mapping
dump valve, brackets, odds and sods say £400-£700

so you could do it for £4500 for stock ecu if it would work

extra £100 if not

for what amount of gains? I usually put £50 per bhp as a rough guide as to wether its worth it.

seems a bit too much.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
What about sourcing a R5 turbo lump?

Could be an idea...fair few people have done the conversion...you never know!

M

mini-valver

Buy one of the new 1200 turbo units out of the Mk3? easier than converting your own, considerably cheaper too no doubt!

Chocolate Bar™
Buy one of the new 1200 turbo units out of the Mk3? easier than converting your own, considerably cheaper too no doubt!

i was just gonna suggest that. only 100 bhp but still get your mpg, and its a safe bet. someone will write one off soon i should imagine

M

mini-valver

Remap and decent exhaust too, some decent gains to be had I reckon. Get ringing the scrapyards!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
why not try mini cooper s supercharger with omex ecu?
supercharger £100-190
omex £600.can be had secondhand also much less
custom brackets to belt on supercharger?
custom pipes with bends also?
uprated pistons later if you want higher boost
when iv finished my car im gonna supercharge a little 900cc cinq!

Clio 197
the amount you will spend on a conversion and the power you will gain wont even put you close the the performance of a 172, you may as well just save your money and wait until you can afford one that is got some power already.

Gians arn't great realy for the money unless you do a lot of DIY and jave the skills.

The manifold won't take much boost and the gearbox and clutch arn't much better,