ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbos?

if i wanted to low pressure turbo my car what factors do i have to consider. on ebay there is a kit made for a civic that only costs £500. what mods wouldi have to make for that to work.

There is the low pressure kit on k-tec and for that you dont need any engine park changs as its only low pressure.

if someone can convince me not to try it then im sure that will be a good thing ;)

renaultsport clio 182
i wanted to turbo my 182, i wouldn't bother doing the coversion unless you are going to bring the compression down, a standard 182 compression is 11:1 and there are more than just one place that say any compression over 9:1 and its dangerous as in damaging parts, im no expert mind jus what i have found out through people and internet, type in turbocharging a N/A car on google and there are loads of write ups.
http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php
check this out

ITB'd MK1
i wanted to turbo my 182, i wouldn't bother doing the coversion unless you are going to bring the compression down, a standard 182 compression is 11:1 and there are more than just one place that say any compression over 9:1 and its dangerous as in damaging parts, im no expert mind jus what i have found out through people and internet, type in turbocharging a N/A car on google and there are loads of write ups.
http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php
check this out

you can run low boost and still be relatively safe. about 230bhp is pretty simple on a standard engine with the right bits

renaultsport clio 182
i guess, its just if there were complications from damage there would be no way i could afford to rebuild the engine, i seen some wossner low comp pistons and rods on ebay new for £899. i'd prefer to go down that route imo. you really think you could get 230 without lowering comp, roughly what amount of boost you think you could run ? what bits do you mean as thats all you say lol 'bits'. cheers dude

ITB'd MK1
I've seen it done. Worked with a couple of the k-tec low boost conversions. Think they do 0.5 bar on a GT28R. As long as you're fueled correctly, the ignition timing is right and stopping you getting huge cylinder temperatures, and there's no detonation, then there's not much to cause issues. I know they pushed the kits to find the limits literally until stuff broke, and there's a fair margin if you do it right.

DMS

A thirsty 172
As above. Around 230bhp is possible at around 0.5bar with the KTR low boost kit.
Most people bum supercharger conversions these days, hardly anyone seems to go down the turbo route anymore. Not sure why though, perhaps they drive better?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Deliver the power better and make more of it at equivalent boost levels than turbo kits on offer is my guess.

Most probably. I haven't actually driven a supercharged Clio yet but I do have a mate with a supercharged GTi-6. The power delivery is completely different and I had noticed they make more power than a turbo running the same sort of boost.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
^you're on 249@wheels on a stock engine? that's about 290@fly ain't it??

Depends on the RR I guess mate, I only had 8-9% transmission losses iirc (dont have the graph to hand). Before it was mapped it was low 250's at the fly on Wayne's RR, so not a million miles from whatever it was on before.

Most probably. I haven't actually driven a supercharged Clio yet but I do have a mate with a supercharged GTi-6. The power delivery is completely different and I had noticed they make more power than a turbo running the same sort of boost.

Yeah the GTI-6 boys like their chargers, the chap that mapped mine has done a few 400+bhp ones, even though he says that much power is utterly pointless lol. Using a different turbo from the kit like the chap with the Trophy and it's swings and roundabouts though.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah I'd like to get more power out of mine eventually. Looks like a lot of work though, plus I still know sweet FA about weilding a spanner.

yeah me either, I'm going to have a go at building an engine myself though, dont think it will be that hard tbh

Last edited:
I dont see it as being difficult, plenty of people on here have built their own engines that make a mockery of so called tuner packages. I wont be mapping it, but how hard can it be putting some bits of metal together? lol