ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tv apps. (YouTube/vevo/red bull etc)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
With "the future of tv being apps" - Apple, 2015. How many of you regularly use your tv to watch online videos?

Apple_TV_appification.png

When I heard the concept of YouTube and apps on tv, I thought it would just be a novelty... But, with having two Apple TVs (and really wanting the new one) I find myself watching YouTube as I would regular tv.

Find content, press play, and have it streaming through 15/20 minute videos with one two minute advert separating them. I quite prefer this format over conventional tv. Fingers crossed tv channels incorporate their on demand channels into the new Apple TV, I know they have them on smart TVs already.

So yeah, how many of you are using apps and streaming over regular tv, did you think it was a geeky novelty too or am I late to the party here?

appletvchannels-100042871-orig.png

Clio 220 Trophy
I quite often use my Xbox for the Netflix app, as well as BBC iplayer and 4OD (or whatever it's called now). It's quicker and more reliable than doing it via the Virgin Media TiVo box. Mostly I tend to record stuff from TV broadcast on the TiVo and watch it as and when.

I like having the choice between the broadcast and the internet content stream.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I use my PS4 for YouTube, Netflix, Now TV etc. I do have a smaller monitor that I use in the study but I move the PS4 into the living room when the wife is out for the day and veg out watching TV all day haha.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Only really use Netflix tbh. My missus streams make up tutorials to the TV but that's about it. Occasionally if it's a long YouTube video I'll stream to TV.

Clio 220 Trophy
Does it add new content frequently yet?

Not a huge amount. Not many feature films really, I'll probably get rid soon after a couple of years of using it on and off. That said, there's some exclusive content which is your high budget US series type. A lot of it gets good reviews - the only one I've watched is 'Narcos' which I'm getting through at the moment and it's really good so far.

DCi
I use Netflix and I do watch YouTube a fair bit but I can never be bothered to stream it to my Apple TV

I mainly use my Apple TV to play plex stuff so if I could get up to date content (more so than Netflix) Id never watch normal Tv apart from the footy (unless you want to count sky go as an app then I could move on)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Samsung Smart TV for me, loads of Apps. All the on demand stuff (iplayer, 4OD etc) Plex app (which is awesome) YouTube, blah blah blah

I can't see a need for an Apple TV anymore, it wouldn't do anything my TV can't do as far as I'm aware.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Samsung Smart TV for me, loads of Apps. All the on demand stuff (iplayer, 4OD etc) Plex app (which is awesome) YouTube, blah blah blah

I can't see a need for an Apple TV anymore, it wouldn't do anything my TV can't do as far as I'm aware.

I think atvs were made before smart TVs were the norm. It's certainly not something you'd plug into your smart tv

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I think atvs were made before smart TVs were the norm. It's certainly not something you'd plug into your smart tv

No I get that, my point was more that most people have a smart TV now, so I can't see the need for £150 worth of add on box, especially when you can get a fire stick or similar for £20. The ATV 4 needs to be awesome.

EDIT: I should point out that I had ATV3, loved it but it became redundant when I changed TV's.