ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twitchy Steering

Clio 182
Hi, I have a 182 that I have just fitted 4 news tyres too thinking that would solve the issue i have atm. When doing 65/70mph plus on the motorway the steering becomes very twitchy, almost like the tyres are overinflated, aggressive direction changes, could it be worn bushes, Steering column....im not too sure. The old tyres were just the same

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, I have a 182 that I have just fitted 4 news tyres too thinking that would solve the issue i have atm. When doing 65/70mph plus on the motorway the steering becomes very twitchy, almost like the tyres are overinflated, aggressive direction changes, could it be worn bushes, Steering column....im not too sure. The old tyres were just the same
My old BG used to tramline badly. The steering would have a mind of its own at times, pretty scary. I’d replaced all the bushes, including rack bushes but no different. I then switched tyres as it had Yokohama AD08Rs to Michelin PS3 195/16/45 and it was like a brand new car.

In my case I know it was the tyres because I sold them to a local lad and he messaged me a few days later to say his 182 was now trying to kill him 😂

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
it’s we’ll know the wishbone bolts beat the subframe mounting points oval. Another think to check for movement.

Never rule out something at the back of the car being wibbly, unwanted rear wheel steer is just as exciting on the road.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
The one with the strut brace is from pure mortorsport. For steering rack ‘bushes’ you want the cup racer ones, I bought from enay seems they’ve run out, might get some more in as they were cheaper than from optimism access

Column joint is to replace to a completely solid version. From electric columns, twingos and some dacias.

That one looks a little dirty but only one I could find on a quick search, I think there is a part number for it but I won’t be at my computer till tomorrow to find it.

Still for sale...

@Dutchie Found a cleaner one

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Fit the solid rack mounts, solid lower joint and machine the pinion housing for a press fit bearing. Or just fit tyres with less grip and get a mechanic to glance over the suspension and say he cant find anything wrong.

IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Beauvais Motorsport have you pinned the torque dampener on stock rack for better feel when converted to epas. Im after mine doing on my trophy for better steering feel.
I fit a quick rack at the same time when I had epas so was solid from the get go.

Pics for ref. One thing to possibly bare in mind is only half would be clamped in vice but It does seem a better option than welding as no possible warping.

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Beauvais Motorsport cheers for the pics. I did consider welding too. I have a spare rack, would you consider doing it for me? Also interested in bearing upgrade.

I have a spare machined housing with bearing pressed in so could send you that, Ill double check tomorrow at my unit and get pics. Regarding the pinion itself, Id need a couple bits to do the job and things are a bit hectic at the minute. If you want to weld it I have spare pinions so if anything happens you still have yours, wouldnt want much for the parts..

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have a spare machined housing with bearing pressed in so could send you that, Ill double check tomorrow at my unit and get pics. Regarding the pinion itself, Id need a couple bits to do the job and things are a bit hectic at the minute. If you want to weld it I have spare pinions so if anything happens you still have yours, wouldnt want much for the parts..
Cheers mate appreciated. No rush to get it done to be fair, as im away on hol for 2.5 weeks and then it will be ages until i get round to fitting it. Ill fire you a pm when i get back if you want (y)

Clio 182 full fat
Sounds more like it's the lower ball joints I had that problem on my clio 182ff so I replaced lower ball joints and track rod ends,problem solved.