ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre advice for my non-sport clio.

ThomHov

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2 1.4 16v 2005
Hey guys!

i'm in a bit of a dilemma with choosing tyres and wheels for my 1.4 16v 2005 clio 2.

I now have the standard 15" alloy wheels that came with the car. 8200760342 6j and et43. First i thought it was a bit of a strange design, but now I quite like it. The first time I had the car in my possesion, I let the garage replace all tyres. The old ones where a mix of 3 brands, all-season and winter, and were as dry as the sahara desert. Back then, i choose the Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires because they had good reviews as an all-season tire. They are a 185/60/r15 tire.

After a year and a half, i still quite like the comfort of these tires. But when I drive a bit faster on backroads or in the mountains, these tires don't have a lot of grip, nice handling and steering feel. The soft side wall really shakes the car a bit when changing direction. As a all-season is a compromise between summer and winter tire, it isnt really good at anything. I want to put the all-seasons on an another set of wheels (maybe steel) for the winter and have new summer tires on the stock renault rims. Maybe the michelin pilot sport 3 or primacy 4??

Does anyone have suggestions/advice for me?

I dont do track days.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
On my first car, a 1.2 16V, I put some Nokian Line tyres on, was really impressed by them actually, this would've been probably 7 years ago now though, not sure if they're still available. I'm sure they wouldn't hold a candle to a set of PS3s, but if they're over £100 a tyre like they are on a sport, it's probably approaching a quarter of the value of the car on tyres.

Last edited:

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Mid brands are fine for this application. Khumo, Nexens etc I would be looking at.

ThomHov

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2 1.4 16v 2005
Thanks for the replies! I mostly care about quality, which means for me: High grip in dry and wet, low noise and a respectable wear rating. The fact that the tires would be quarter to half the resell price of the car doesn't matter to me. Its more that i want to make it a nice place to be in.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green1.2
195/45/R15 on a 1.2L over the years:

Good
Pilot Sport 3's
Falken Ziex ZE310's
Uniroyal RainSport 5's (fitted to 172 also)

Bad
Vredestein Quatrac (Not a summer tire, but I am bitter. f**k this tyre)