ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance tyres - is there any point anymore?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I keep thinking this at the moment.

I've always gone for the latest Michelin Pilot Sports on all my cars, on the wife's it's usually been some type of all weather affair... But I always end up taking her car when it's available because it's just more usable most of the year round, makes me wonder why I bother putting summer performance tyres on the Clio when it's only usable for a few months a year?

This time I thought I'd try the new Eagle F1 Supersports - great in the dry, on par if slightly nicer for the Clio for me than the PS4's but my god it's pathetic right now - skipping, no traction in these types of temps, just not an enjoyable exerience, yet in the other Clio it's happy in any month, yes you have to accept the sponginess in the hot weather but how long is that compared to the crap overcast days we get all year round!

I'm thinking next time rather than going for an all out sports tyre I should dial it back a bit and just enjoy a car that is more usable more of the time?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I run PS4’s all year round. I do notice when they’re getting a bit low on tread though if it’s damp or wet.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Avon ZV7s on my 182, no problems when pushing on in the wet or dry and they won't break your bank balance. 😊

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thought about running dedicated summer and winter tyres instead of trying to find middle ground?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How hard do people drive on public roads? I've never had any issues like this ever on public roads, even with s**t tyres?

Just driving normally the time you'll really notice the difference is in emergency braking, and then it's too late to lament buying budgets.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Not just me then?

much more than legal limit but when you get to about 60% wear on the tyres you can really feel the grip drop off
I notice it most when tread is down a bit more than that. Prob about the 2mm mark. In the dry they’re still pretty good (better than a new ditch finder budget anyway!)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
How hard do people drive on public roads? I've never had any issues like this ever on public roads, even with s**t tyres?
My current set of PS4s are getting low. If it's a bit damp and I floor it on one of the onramps near me, it'll fry third gear.

When they're new I can hook first in some conditions and 2nd everywhere else.

Needless to say, motorway onramps are slightly less fun when you're doing 50 and your speedo is reading 100.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
My current set of PS4s are getting low. If it's a bit damp and I floor it on one of the onramps near me, it'll fry third gear.

When they're new I can hook first in some conditions and 2nd everywhere else.

Needless to say, motorway onramps are slightly less fun when you're doing 50 and your speedo is reading 100.
Do you know that the accelerator pedal can be depressed to your liking? It’s not an on/off switch. If your Speedo is reading 100 and you’re doing 50 then your reactions must be sh!t

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know that the accelerator pedal can be depressed to your liking? It’s not an on/off switch. If your Speedo is reading 100 and you’re doing 50 then your reactions must be sh!t
Obviously, yes.

My point is that good tyres = I can go flat
Bad tyres = that is what would happen if I went flat
Therefore good tyres make a difference.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
They are a waste on the roads. But the budget stuff should be banned, they're so dangerous.

Goodyear assymetric 5 would be my 100% go to, if I didn't take the car on the odd track day. Supersports on mine for that reason but yeah, they're totally wasted on the road, especially as they need temps to work at their best.

I like Rainsports, Eages, PS4s etc. They're all decent, predictable, well-rounded tyres.

Anything better limits use to good weather only and provide a level of performance beyond what I need on the road. Different matter as track tyres of course.

Budget tyres historically have always had huge tradeoffs, in most years the preferred list 1A tyre for hillclimbing will be some ditchfinder with great dry performance, but they drop off a cliff when wet, or are prone to aquaplaning etc. They have also tended to lack feel, or have high slip angles and break away suddenly making driving more risky and less pleasant. The whole market seems to be getting better over the last few years and notable manufacturers I'd never have used now have some decent offerings (Nankang for example)

A big part of the issue with Clios and so on is that manufacturers all stopped bothering with these sizes years ago so there is far less choice available. Trying to buy "good" tyres for a Porsche 944 is all but impossible.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I find that pretty much any V pattern tyre is poor in the snow or slush. We don’t get much but it means that in winter you either need winter tyres or access to another car

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Thought about running dedicated summer and winter tyres instead of trying to find middle ground?

Sorry Dan I missed this!

Yes I would 100% do this, the problem I have is I would ideally like two sets of wheels, both the same and that can get very expensive depending on the wheels!

4GTS/7.5R/182
I'm too lazy to have summer and winter tyres and it also depends hugely on the car.

The Clio is happy with AD08RSs even when cold or wet (though I confess I've not tried them at lower than 5 degrees) so I now just run those all year round. Car is not a daily.

A modern 4WD car like our family daily is happy with PS4s all year round, never runs out of traction and these tyres are great in the wet. Our weekend car is on PS4Ss all year round and never had traction issues in the winter.

Maybe I'm just a pussy and drive too slow.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Running a semi slick for road use is pointless IME. Unless you get some proper heat into them, something like a PS4 is better in the dry, and always better when cold/wet. Even the R888Rs I run for track use are broadly similar when cold to my PS4s in the dry… and they have an extra 120mm of rubber on the road.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yep always run quality rubber on anything fast. Even run michelins on the daily, which have absolutely lasted ages compared to budgets.

Ive currently got goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 on my Kangoo. Crap compared to ps4, it will currently light the tyres up at 1/3 throttle in first 3 gears, was not much better in the summer either. Planning on changing for ps4s soon.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I had Cup-2 on my Megane. They were terrible in Winter. Not that great in summer for normal road use.

Changed to a PS4S. Much better all but allrounder. But I would guess that people still perceive this as being a bit at extreme end?

On my wifes STI widetrack I tried to maintain OEM original Bridgestone RE070. Which are a half normal half slick. I take these off in winter and put some TOYO T1's on there. Still a summer tyre..... but one with tread! Never have an problems but then its only trying to put 75 bhp/wheel whereas Meg trying double that.

What I notice on Either tyre is after sitting for 6m on a tyre rack that that the rubber is very smooth almost plastic like. Needs a few miles to scrub in similar to a new tyre. Guess the rubber must Oxidise in some way when stored.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep always run quality rubber on anything fast. Even run michelins on the daily, which have absolutely lasted ages compared to budgets.

Ive currently got goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 on my Kangoo. Crap compared to ps4, it will currently light the tyres up at 1/3 throttle in first 3 gears, was not much better in the summer either. Planning on changing for ps4s soon.

Was keen to try the 5's. Can get ps4's for a, few quid more. May opt for the latter.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I mean tyres are way better these days but even with decent midrange - I stuck some cheapish Dunlops on the 406 a while back - they struggle compared to top end tyres after a bit of wear.
I think there's about 4-4.5mm left on the Dunlops and I literally can't set off at some junctions on cold/damp/slimey days. It sits there with a wheel spinning at idle speeds doing walking pace, anything approaching frost and I can light a wheel up just cranking the throttle on at 30-40mph - it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating :D

Thinking about just banging it on some all-seasons to be honest, they've got so damn good these days even in summer if you buy the top-end stuff, and the bit you lose from them getting toasty in summer is more than made up for the rest of our year tbfh.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The whole market seems to be getting better over the last few years and notable manufacturers I'd never have used now have some decent offerings (Nankang for example)

I noticed a while back that several of the premium brands were buying up small local (cheap) manufacturers as a way to break into emerging markets. The factories then started knocking out tyres that looked awful similar to their premium cousins.

Trouble is it's all rumours and do you really wanna buy a set from a cheap, unknown brand on the off chance they actually are a Goodyear in disguise?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thought of this thread last night, whilst being very late for an appointment…
182 engined Kangoo van, 195/50/15 Hankook V12 Evo tyres, and the progress I was making in really cold/damp/salted road conditions was mental. Really really impressed with them.

not really driven on them in the dry though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I notice it most when tread is down a bit more than that. Prob about the 2mm mark. In the dry they’re still pretty good (better than a new ditch finder budget anyway!)
Loads of tread left at 2mm 🥵

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed a while back that several of the premium brands were buying up small local (cheap) manufacturers as a way to break into emerging markets. The factories then started knocking out tyres that looked awful similar to their premium cousins.

Trouble is it's all rumours and do you really wanna buy a set from a cheap, unknown brand on the off chance they actually are a Goodyear in disguise?

Screenshot_20220114_124344_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
PS4 on everything for me apart from the ClioVan which runs AD08RS and my little 1.2 8v which runs some midrange Hankook ventus which cost more than the car. my 197 doesn't seem to bother if its wet or dry, I cant drive fast enough on the road to unsettle it!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Just seen there is a new michelin pilot sport 5. Will be interesting to see if any better than the 4.

Clio 182
Has anyone tried Eagle F1 SuperSports? I run them on my stage 2 Golf R been really happy with them, similar money to PS4’s but equivalent to 4s’s in terms of performance.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Can or could get this for £6 each more than the standard. I'd assume the latter being a better allrounder?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yeah read the 1st post they're terrible! They wear faster than anything I've ever had before.

Running a road/track tyre on the road in your daily in this country is bonkers IMO. The drawbacks totally outweigh the benefits as the weather in this county is mostly cold, wet and miserable AF, and near all of these road/track tyres need heat to work unless you go for something like an Avon ZZS with a treadwear rating of 20, but they'll last a few thousand miles at best.

Falken FK510 or PS4's for me on the road as they are both fantastic all-rounders. Recently fitted GY F1 5's to my F30 330D and cant wait for them to wear out as they're not a patch on either the Falken or Michelins.

Clio 182
I believe @MarkCup ran them and they disappeared at a rate of knots.
I’m looking at about 8k out of mine reasonably hard driving, few launches ect and I run them at 41psi I wouldn’t say they’re that bad the Golf is a heavy boy too 😂. The mrs has a 1.8tsi 5f Leon with PS4’s all round they’ve worn at pretty much the same rate as mine. Each to their own but I will be putting ss’s back on when they’re due. Pics for attention ;)

Attachments

• AB5A02B8-A06A-4AED-9618-AA590730FDA1.jpeg
    AB5A02B8-A06A-4AED-9618-AA590730FDA1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • D16C1BA0-D6A9-4A37-91A1-A982A38FA5A0.jpeg
    D16C1BA0-D6A9-4A37-91A1-A982A38FA5A0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64