ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance tyres - is there any point anymore?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Always found the eagle f1s a good balance.

The people that run proper track tyres on the road are mental.
Never again, did a winter in the E55 with NS2rs.

I find as long as the Michelins aren’t too low they’re still fine through winter, just terrible when worn 50% or more

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Thought of this thread last night, whilst being very late for an appointment…
182 engined Kangoo van, 195/50/15 Hankook V12 Evo tyres, and the progress I was making in really cold/damp/salted road conditions was mental. Really really impressed with them.

not really driven on them in the dry though.
They’re great in the dry, they didn’t seem to wear too hard either

Listerine MX-5
Never again, did a winter in the E55 with NS2rs.

I find as long as the Michelins aren’t too low they’re still fine through winter, just terrible when worn 50% or more
The NS2-Rs on the Poledo were f**king lethal when the clouds over the Eifel mountains decided to open up.

On topic:
Given that UK roads are a stop-start affair of getting onto the back of the next chunk of traffic, there's almost no purpose to a "performance" car at all, other than as plummage.

Unless you sort Tyreleader for the very cheapest rubber to mount, there's no reason a car will have a problem. The driver, thats a different matter. There's a middle ground between ditchfinders and ULTRAKMEGASPORTGRIPPROPILOT9s, no-one wants the former and, on the road, no one needs the latter.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Just an update on this - I might actually be forced soon to go for a non 'ultimate' tyre anyway as I run a 205/40/18 tyre and the availability going forward is shocking.

I was just going to go for something like a PS5 but they won't be doing them in my size!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not go 10-20mm wider?

Given that UK roads are a stop-start affair of getting onto the back of the next chunk of traffic, there's almost no purpose to a "performance" car at all, other than as plummage.

Unless you sort Tyreleader for the very cheapest rubber to mount, there's no reason a car will have a problem. The driver, thats a different matter. There's a middle ground between ditchfinders and ULTRAKMEGASPORTGRIPPROPILOT9s, no-one wants the former and, on the road, no one needs the latter.
Not everywhere is an inner city crawlfest tbh. Once you get out on the open road you can absolutely have enough fun to want something grippy. I understand that some people won't care about the ultimate performance tyre though.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
215s make no change in tyre choice.

225s do open up a treasure trove of rubber but it'll rub the struts on the front unless you space them out, then it'll rub on the arch if you do 😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Just an update on this - I might actually be forced soon to go for a non 'ultimate' tyre anyway as I run a 205/40/18 tyre and the availability going forward is shocking.

I was just going to go for something like a PS5 but they won't be doing them in my size!

205 profile is pretty skinny for an 18" wheel

225 is one of the most the most common for 17"

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
205 is standard fit on these - wasn't an issue 2 years ago but the market seems to have dropped this size as a performance alternative.

I was going to get the new P Zero PZ4's but they only offer runflat in this size bizarrely!

You can get a few options in 205/40/18 like Yoko V701 which get half decent reviews.

Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 - Tyre Reviews and Tests

205 40 r18 Tyres, Buy Online, FREE Fitting or Mobile Fitting | National

1642587383693.png

Also Continental PremiumContact 6 which get very good reviews

Continental Premium Contact 6 - Tyre Reviews and Tests

205 40 r18 Tyres, Buy Online, FREE Fitting or Mobile Fitting | National

1642587324700.png

Lastly but requires someone you know with a Costco card, Pilot 4 which get fantastic reviews.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Michelin 205/40 ZR18 (86Y) PILOT SPORT 4 DT1 XL | Costco UK

1642587844942.png