ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre bulge!!

FF Blackgold 182
Just been doing motorway speeds and now I've noticed a bulge in the wall of the drivers side front tyre! :eek: It's about an inch square. Only replaced them in November last year and they still have some tread, so I'm a bit narked really.:mad: PE2's btw. I assume it's new tyre time, but is it ok to have one new tyre and one worn or is it best to replace in pairs. Also I had to get them ordered in last time, even Renault Minute said they would have to. Got them at Pro Tyre in the end , but they ordered them in too. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Steve

Better than yours. C*nt.
You're off the road until you can get it sorted I'm afraid - and personally I'd get the pair done, but it is up to you. The police have the power to and will stop you driving with a bulge, as it could cause a blow out and a big motorway pileup.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I won't drive with it.

Has Protyre got any??

I've tried to get PE2's off them for a while now, but i'm after 192/45's though.

Change the pair and keep the other one for a spare.

Costco are about £68 fitted.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
You shouldn't get a failure like that from speed. Certainly not any speed that you're capable of doing on the highway in a Clio Sport.

If you haven't mistreated the tyre by bouncing it off a curb - if there's any rium damage it'd be incriminating for you, but the absence of rim damage doesn't prove you've never hit a curb with the tyre - it may be that the tyre was faulty. That there was a defect in the the construction that resulted in separation of the layers of the tyre.

Don't just assume its your fault. If you only bought them last year, 2006, go back to the dealer you bought the tyres from and demand that they look for sign of damage to the tyre wall from impact, up to and including returning the tyre to the manufacturer for their inspection, and if there isn't any to consider replacement under warranty, or at least a pro-rata replacement, ie, you refund you for the amount of tread left on the old tyre. If you can, get a close up photo of the area of damage and look for abrasions and cuts that'd indicate damage, and if there's none you may have a good case.

Of course even if there's no sign of damage they could still argue that it was the result of being run with insufficent pressure in the tyre that overheated it and causes separation of the layers of the casing.

So what's your story (if its true!)?
1. you've never underinflated the tyre,
2. you've never bounced it off a curb,
3, it became evident after a run at speed, but reasonably legal speeds,
4. its not a user-caused fault so it must be a construction fault, so you demand a replacement tyre.

Last edited:
  FF Blackgold 182
Btw. I went down to Pro Tyre and got two new ones fitted last riday. Thanks for the advice guys. Everything sorted now. They balanced all the wheels up and sorted the allignment too. Now everything is sweet as.:D

Renault Clio, 216 Tomcat
i done the same with a set or goodyears..cant mind the exact ones will fiondout tho..a dn go a replacement..i would have kicked up merry hell about it and kept the other one..all that will happen is one of them will take it as a spare...