ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need new rear Tyres Kumho?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys, Happy Easter

Thinking of getting my Clio out of retirement, been about 4 years since last use.
Looks like the rear tyres will need replacing, Mich. PS3, but badly cracked around the side walls near the tread which seems a problem with these as I have done less than a 1000 miles on these since new and have had this problem before with these, so I am not going to waste any more money on Michelin.

I have a virtually new (but a few years old) Kumho Solus KH16 on a 182 rim if I could find a buddy, but it seems that Kumho don't do these any more, I want to keep the PS3 type pattern but looking for some decent alternatives in the budget range, I am not likely to do any spirited driving or high mileage so this is not an issue whereas price is.
Any suggestions in 205/45/16

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Uniroyal Rainsport is about the best budget tyre.

Avon ZV7 are a good upper mid-range.

Toyo Proxes TR1 are abysmal in the wet but with summer almost here would that really be a problem? They’re pretty good in the dry,

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If you're not going to drive it with any gusto then why not just put the cheapest rubber you can find on? I bought some 182 wheels with 5 year old Landsails* on and they aren't cracked or falling apart and I've survived driving in the rain, frost and using over 50% throttle!

*Other brands you'd never usually trust are available

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
If you're not going to drive it with any gusto then why not just put the cheapest rubber you can find on? I bought some 182 wheels with 5 year old Landsails* on and they aren't cracked or falling apart and I've survived driving in the rain, frost and using over 50% throttle!

*Other brands you'd never usually trust are available

But not in the wet.....

Seriously interesting budget tyre review online showing wet handling & braking for tyres that only save a few £ compared to branded.

Worth looking at the age markers. Any rubber likes to flex a bit so old rubber can get pretty rigid. Hence the cracks. Some people say 5 years old some say 10. Guess it depends on how much use & how much UV.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Kuhmo's have been winning a lot of tyre tests with the HS51 and HS52 the past few years, I just bought a set for my daily and they're lovely tbfh, can't fault them wet or dry.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the advice guys, will keep all in mind when it comes to it.

I have seen some Nankang NS20, which have a similar pattern to PS3 and in my price range, anybody tried these?
As for wet driving, not too bothered as rarely take the car out in the wet, and even if caught out wouldn't try any heroics.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I killed a set of Kuhmo something or other on the rear of my e91 in 6000 miles 😂

I actually replaced them with Nankangs and ran them for a summer and they were alright tbh, the best budget tyres I've had. I sold the car before winter hit though.