ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Choice

Clio 200 Silverstone
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has/or a friend of someone that has used the Toyo Proxes R1R tyres?
They're described as Fast Road/Track Day tyre but just wondered how good they are, I use the car for short trips during the week but wanting to do a lot more track days next year, just doing some research in to what might go for

Definitely got a crazy tread pattern!

Clio 182
I use the Toyos as a daily. do average 250/300 miles a week, and they're fantastic tyres, unfortunaly ive never been on a track day with them, but im sure they'll be good as daily driving is spot on..

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
R1Rs are fantastic on the clios. Even great in the rain, I used mine on my daily 182 which done a 50 mile round trip to work and back every day and never had any issues with them and they got driven on very hard.

Although obviously this time of year, if the temperature does finally drop to cold temperatures then their performance will also drop. Although shouldn't be too much of an issue depending how much you use your car/rely on it through winter.

Clio 200 Silverstone
Well im using the car less and less these days, taken to cycling to work and use the gf's A1 deisel more often, so the clio is turning in to more of a track car each month. Just want to keep it road legal, but only just lol. Just wondered if these were worth the plunge

Cossie, 182FF, A3
Just ordered a set of r1r for my 15" track wheels. Will be on the car tomorrow and on track Sunday. I'll let you know how they do but I expect good things from them.

Subaru Impreza P1
Just ordered a set of r1r for my 15" track wheels. Will be on the car tomorrow and on track Sunday. I'll let you know how they do but I expect good things from them.

Don`t mean to be cheeky...but what price did you pay for these?

I`m looking at buying some track day tyres myself...either Toyo R1Rs or Yoko AD08s...but theres £130 differance in price between them.

182 Trophy
I might be wrong but keep track tyres and road tyres apart ie two sets. any track tyre thats any cop will be too soft for the road and any tyre you use for general driving and you over winter on your car will be too hard for the track the best you will get is a compromise if you are happy with a compromise the exaltos are still the best tyres for the car but it's only my opinion also starting to be hard to find and crazy money my last set £147 each. I did try the p zero's but found they just wore out too quickly on my scirocco R
followed link to the toyo tryes £54 each can't believe they would last more than a few laps if I'm wrong get erm bought!

LY FF182
Try looking at Federal 595 RSR. I have them on mine (yet to track it) but went out with chip at bedford with the same tyres on. On track they were spot on and on the road I find them great, even in the wet they are fine. Cheap too! I've also used Toyo T1R's on a 2 litre track **** Corsa and to be fair.. they aren't great but for £40 a corner they lasted well and gave enough grip to play with

WRX
R1Rs are a better track tyre for wet use, RSRs are better in the dry. First time I used R1Rs on track, they were moving about too much, however I use them as my road and wet track tyre. They do get better in the dry when they're worn down a bit. As you would expect though, they do perform better than a road tyre on track. They may well suit a cold track quite well but do melt quite quickly when hot.

Cossie, 182FF, A3
Used the r1rs today at a wet donington where they performed really well. Managed to hold on to a Quattro tt and an evo 7 through the bends. They did still start to slide at times but that was probably more my driving. The tyres will probably do better once worn a little.

If dry I think the federals would have been better.

i found best prices for toyo at tyre traders and the federals I were considering at my tyres.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've used R888, RSR and now got some pilot sport cups to try. R888 best in dry/on track, RSR better in wet just but pants on track (imo compared to R888, no egos were hurt in the making of this comment, etc etc) looking forward to seeing how the Michelins go.

mate of mine loved the R1R but ate through them in about 5k in mostly dry road use, but they are supposedly superb in the wet

172 rag
ed55j Someone is looking for e-marked tyres?
Lol
The 888 that I have used as an everyday tyre and recce tyre were excellent. I liked them as much as my F1 in the rain but they dont like standing water.
Very progressive tyre and durable. They dont compare to pirelli but as an everyday tyre are perfect.
I ve been told that the Dmack are more proper rally tyres but more sensitive to heat cycles etc..
With some extra grooves I think they would be good for what you have on mind
As an everyday normal tyre r1r or 888 are more than enough with a semi proper suspension.

172 Cup
Looks like my new r800's won't be getting used much now arrgghh!! Oh well hopefully can use them on the English events. Think I might give the r1r's a go people seem to rate them highly and I've seen them used on nat b events before. My yoko ad08's were great on the summer events, not so good in the wet/muddy stuff though.

172 Track Car
I use R1Rs on my 182 road car and we use them for wet weather on the track car (otherwise running slicks). I love them but in dry track work we can cook the R1Rs