ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters
  MK2 PH1 1.2 5DR
This might be the place to ask:

What size tyres should I be looking at if I'm going to fit 16" wheels to my mkII clio 5dr?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I went for T1R's in the end - could get PE2's for love nor money and sourcing the RS2's at the last minute was restricitve compared to the price i got for 4 T1R's.

172 Ph2
I've got 4x naff tyres which are made by 'Event'.
It usually is an event everytime you go round corners in the wet!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I've just fitted 2 new exaltos and I really do stand by the rep they have. Great in the wet, great in the dry and they last. Awesome tyre and worth every penny. Kwickfit always have them so shouldn't have any probs getting them.

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
eagle F1's def, i've got cup so 195/45/16, quite expensive for that size and I'd say good quality for the price and it's been raining like buggery up here and its still rubber side down :)

Tried my bf's 172 with exalto on rear, toyo's on front, prefer mines by far, might just be size thats affecting my thoughts tho his is 195/50/15 and a lot cheaper

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
iirc they are made by one of the main mft's - hancook i think, i had them on the M3.. if that is a guide they were very good in the dry and poor in the wet, but it's a completely different car .....

im looking to get 4 tyres for my 172, im thinking about going for nankang ns2 sport again had them on my mugen civic, and the track rallye and there spot on. not sure if to keep with the 195 50 15's or drop to 195 45 50 as im dropping it 35mm

Fabia vrs tdi
Who all has had hankook k110s i think their called, read lots of good reviews on them and their only 58pound each going to get two fitted to front on monday.

Fabia vrs tdi
Well give me some examples, those ones im on about seem to be a big hit in germany and on that tire review site people say their just as good as premium ones and that their fitted on alot of civic type rs

Fabia vrs tdi
Hmmm its taken me long enough to decide what ones to get now i have changed my mind again, chances are i will get them just to try them out.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I believe in keeping all 4 tyres the same. Exaltos are awesome just twice the price. They didn't put them on as standard for a laugh.

Fabia vrs tdi
Cant afford pe2S i do have one on the back with lots of tread but its loosing air would this def be a slow puncture once i pump it up i can hear air escaping but it never drops below 25psi could it be fixed? Cos its almost new.

Poped over to see you boys on Cliosport with the Exalto being OE on many Renaultsport models. Currently running German produced Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s: In the dry they are fantastic, and they get even more grippy with temperature. They are nice and progressive, communicate with good feel, and don't snap with lift off oversteer. Excellent wet weather grip, although they take some warming up in the winter. As mentioned in previous posts, the V tread design fills with snow, and they are crap on ice too.

I'd go for the same again: however, since the introduction of the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics, production of the older GSD3 it has effectively replaced has been restricted to fewer sizes and moved to China I believe. They aren't getting great write-ups, and I've read on more than one forum of them being unreliable and that grip can suddenly seem to just disappear? Anyone else bought GSD3s recently, and / or able to comment? They are all E marked. German ones have DE on the sidewall: China CN.

Managed to find supply only Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 (195/50 R15 82V TL) for £52.51 including vat which I gather is pretty good. With the GSD3s (same size and rating) at £48.63 but now produced in China, I think it's a no-brainer to go for the Michelins.

Cheers

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Poped over to see you boys on Cliosport with the Exalto being OE on many Renaultsport models. Currently running German produced Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s: In the dry they are fantastic, and they get even more grippy with temperature. They are nice and progressive, communicate with good feel, and don't snap with lift off oversteer. Excellent wet weather grip, although they take some warming up in the winter. As mentioned in previous posts, the V tread design fills with snow, and they are crap on ice too.

I'd go for the same again: however, since the introduction of the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics, production of the older GSD3 it has effectively replaced has been restricted to fewer sizes and moved to China I believe. They aren't getting great write-ups, and I've read on more than one forum of them being unreliable and that grip can suddenly seem to just disappear? Anyone else bought GSD3s recently, and / or able to comment? They are all E marked. German ones have DE on the sidewall: China CN.

Managed to find supply only Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 (195/50 R15 82V TL) for £52.51 including vat which I gather is pretty good. With the GSD3s (same size and rating) at £48.63 but now produced in China, I think it's a no-brainer to go for the Michelins.

Cheers

can said supplier get 16's 205/45's?

Jagggg...missing the 182!
are exaltos 205 45 16 still very scarce?

after selling my clio, i still have 3 brand new unfitted.

either keep to buy another 182, or id sell at what they cost me (am i unreasonable £90 each immediate availability)

can said supplier get 16's 205/45's?
Yep. Assuming you are talking Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s (not Goodyears) 205/45 R16 83V are £90.80, and 83W are £92.10 including vat (bear in mind these prices will increase in 24 hours)

V is rated to 240 kph (149 mph) whereas W is 270 kph (167mph)

With respect to our friend S31LEN, I'm sure he/she is open to offers considering you would still have to buy a fourth tyre from somewhere else anyway. Unfortunate that the rarer sizes cost so much more.

With this being only my second post on Cliosport, I'm wary of writing who the supplier is, because I don't want to be accused of advertising them or being linked to them: Therefore I'm going to simply quote from earlier in this very thread.....

for the 888's, try camskill

when people mention Conti's in here... which ones are they referring to?
Conti SportContact 1, 2 or 3?

reason I ask is because the SportContact 2 were never fitted as standard to the RS range, however are the most readily available from most places. The other 2 were standard fitment on the 172 cup and the 197/200?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Vredestein should be considered and added to the poll! :approve: better than the PS2's imo! And nearly half the price! £365 vs £200 for 19's.

ST
Vredestein should be considered and added to the poll! :approve: better than the PS2's imo! And nearly half the price! £365 vs £200 for 19's.

Ultrac ones IIRC...wee bro has them on his ARSEtra..he's rollin on big boi 18's n gets them at a decent price..

172 mk2/racing puma
theres only one tyre for the clio and its the r888 toyo maybe only 5 mm of tread but what a difference they make on the handling in the wet and unbelivable in the dry

E87 118d M Sport
anyone know what the rough price for a set of 4 Eagle F1 GSD-3's will set me back atm?

im thinking about tyres VAT and fitting approx £350?

I have obtained two quotations for 2 tyres...

Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 (£176.78) Black Circles

Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 XL (£170.44) Camskill

Whats the difference between the PE2's and the PE2 XL's... if any?

anyone know what the rough price for a set of 4 Eagle F1 GSD-3's will set me back atm?

im thinking about tyres VAT and fitting approx £350?

On camskill.co.uk, you can get a set of 4no. 195/45 R16's for £273.96, which includes delivery. Fitting would obviously be on top but not £75 more.

Or I have a price of £309.84, which includes fitting via blackcircles.com. If interested, PM me :)

E87 118d M Sport
Yeah i did a little more research today. Seems £70 a corner fitted is more than acheiveable.
sweet!!!!! got the MOT in march so ill hold out a few more weeks!!!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Toyo have recently launched their new R1-R tyre at the Autosport show. Its a road legal track tyre that is between the T1-R and R888 tyre. Said to be very good in all conditions unlike R888's. Look on their website for outlets as not all Toyo dealers will be selling the R1-R's. I'm planning to replace my T1-R's next time with these tyres.

Clio Williams & 182
Toyo have recently launched their new R1-R tyre at the Autosport show. Its a road legal track tyre that is between the T1-R and R888 tyre. Said to be very good in all conditions unlike R888's. Look on their website for outlets as not all Toyo dealers will be selling the R1-R's. I'm planning to replace my T1-R's next time with these tyres.

I am going to test R1R's next as well as I didn't want the R888's on a car I primarily drive on the road in very rainy UK...

Nothing at the mo :(
hmm im ordering a full set tonight.. cant decide between toyo T1R or hankook v12 :S.. love the look of T1Rs though :p

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Damo_Sport said:
hmm im ordering a full set tonight.. cant decide between toyo T1R or hankook v12 :S.. love the look of T1Rs though :p
I've run both. If the toyo were 1/3 the price of the hankook's, I'd still get the hankook's.

Clio 172
I am looking around for best prices fitted but the hankooks are rare from what i can tell. The thing i am not sure about is would the clio 172 get away with W rated tyres and also a heavier load tyre like 84?

I have really only been looking at the standard 195/45/16 V 80 simply because i am not sure what i would get away with, that also includes going up to 205 as well as i will still be using the standard 16" alloys.

TT 225+
i love my t1r's, can chuck it in the dry and i dont believe in booting it when its wet so it doesn't bother me :) cheap too!