ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres, offset, profile, HELP :(

Hello

Can someone give me a quick beginners guide to tyre sizes, offset's etc as im abit confused

I want to swap out the alloys on mine for something else but before i start chucking money into it i want to make sure i fully understand what to buy & what tyres to get. Also if i would need wheel spacers (i think that has something to do with offset?)

Any help would be appreciated, just wanna buy right, buy once :p

Http://www.willtheyfit.com will show you if your new alloy and tyre combo will fit, or rather how it will fit relative to your existing set up.

Have a simple google for understanding tyre markings and alloy offsets.
For tyres:

195/50/15R V/H/T is my tyres.
195 = Tyre width in mm
50 = aspect ration, it's the % of the width for height. lowe rthis is, lower the profile
15R is the size, i.e 15".
V/H/T etc = The tyre load/speed rating. Some tyres are rated for higher speeds than others.

For Alloys:

My alloys are ET37 7J 4x100 60.1

ET37 = This is the offset from the hub. the lower the offset, the more it will poke out i believe. This is in mm. Spacers effect this, so et37+15 mm spacer = ET22.
7J = This is the Alloy width. I've not seen any letter except J but the 7 refers to 7 inches wide i think.
4x100 = Bolt hole spacing. 4 holes, must be 100 the fit on your clio.
60.1 = Alloy centre bore. Must be 60.1 to fit snugly. If it's smaller than this, you'll need it machined/bored out. If it's bigger, maybe you can get a spigot or sleeve to reduce it.

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Just a slight change to the bit above. The 'R' isn't part of the wheel size. 'R' stands for Radial Ply and is the construction type of the tyre. This can also be a 'C' for commercial tyres.

Cheers Zeit, thats given me a much better idea of what im looking for.

Owen is radial ply good to look out for then?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Radial tyres will be the only tyres you can get for it. Was just pointing it out in case you came across a commercial tyre.

Cheers guys!

One last question, where would i found out the offset of my renault alloys? is it stamped on somewhere?

usually have their offsets and width stamped on the inside of the alloy. if you search on the forum - i'm sure you can find the standard offset etc.

Had a little look, i believe that standard dynamique alloys are ET43.

Last edited: