ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres...What Would You Buy???

C3 Picasso Beast
Hi All!

As title...

You have the following;
Bridgestone ER300
Hankook K110
Hankook K115
Hankook K107
Yoko Parada 2
Pirelli P6000
Pirelli P6 Cinturato
Dunlop Fast Response
Conti Premium Contact 2
Goodyear Efficentgrip
Michelin PE2

Been searching and there's just so many opinions on different tyres!

Also if you know one of the tyre types above is s**t let me know so I can cross it off the list :)

Thanks

is1

Integra Type R DC2
That's barely a question worth asking.
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 all day long. That's not brand snobbery BTW. Yes, they cost more but they last longer too.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are indeed awesome.
However, the loss of steering feel just off centre meant they weren't for me.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Michelin PE2 has now been replaced with the PS3 (which are both effectivley the same imo) and these have to be the choice hands down.

The PE2's on our DCI did 3000 miles and 2 track days on my old ph1 and have now done 20k road miles on the DCI and they still have 3/4mm left!! Plus the all round grip in wet and dry is superb.

Discounted 1*2 parts
I also used Prada spec 2's on my old 182 which were great in the dry but s**t in the wet, looked good though!!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I've recently had Hankook S1 Evo K107 fitted from blakcircles for £77 a tyre fitted each in 195/45/16, much better grip than the previous Pirelli P Zero's I had in my opinion.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Can you elaborate please mate, I dont understand?

On a pretty much back to back test between PE2s and Rainsport 2s fitted to the front of my Trophy, the 6-year old PE2 with only around 2mm had nice steering weight and feel immediately either side of centre.
I tried the Rainsports for a couple of weeks. They had been on the back of the car for around 6 months, had about 6mm on them and when you move the steering wheel an inch or so either side of dead ahead there was very little weight or feel. Overall steering feel was not as good either.
Grip at 7/10ths was much the same in the wet and dry but the Rainsports had (alarmingly) soft sidewalls such that under very hard cornering they would "bottom out" requiring a lift off throttle to regain the line.
I recently fitted Pilot Sport 3s at the front and after bedding in (plus an extra 3PSI) the car feels much like it did on the PE2s. PS3s are supposed to have softer sidewalls than the PE2.
Tyre characteristics may be a subjective thing and also relative. For example, if one had never used a PE2/PS3, then the reference point is different.

Clio RS 182
On a pretty much back to back test between PE2s and Rainsport 2s fitted to the front of my Trophy, the 6-year old PE2 with only around 2mm had nice steering weight and feel immediately either side of centre.
I tried the Rainsports for a couple of weeks. They had been on the back of the car for around 6 months, had about 6mm on them and when you move the steering wheel an inch or so either side of dead ahead there was very little weight or feel. Overall steering feel was not as good either.
Grip at 7/10ths was much the same in the wet and dry but the Rainsports had (alarmingly) soft sidewalls such that under very hard cornering they would "bottom out" requiring a lift off throttle to regain the line.
I recently fitted Pilot Sport 3s at the front and after bedding in (plus an extra 3PSI) the car feels much like it did on the PE2s. PS3s are supposed to have softer sidewalls than the PE2.
Tyre characteristics may be a subjective thing and also relative. For example, if one had never used a PE2/PS3, then the reference point is different.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'm assuming you race quite abit?

The Rainsport 2's are just really good value for money, and for the average commute with the odd spirited drive, I think they are very good!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'm assuming you race quite abit?

The Rainsport 2's are just really good value for money, and for the average commute with the odd spirited drive, I think they are very good!

To be honest, I don't race at all (other than amateur karting)! I have had a few decent road cars though and steering feel is a big issue for me in relation to car handling.

Clio RS 182
To be honest, I don't race at all (other than amateur karting)! I have had a few decent road cars though and steering feel is a big issue for me in relation to car handling.

I suppose in most cases you don't miss what you've never had, but in your case you've had alot of tyres!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I think people are using the models Pilot Exalto 2 and Pilot Sport 3 pretty much interchangeably, as if they are one and the same.
I am not aware of anyone (on the web anyway) that offer PE2s any more.
My Tyres had them a couple of months back but seemed to be charging a premium for them.

Rocket 3,CB-1,Yaris
Why can no-one find PE2 are people blind. I ordered a couple of PE2's on Tuesday from camskill and got them today. They are also still on blackcircles.

PE2's all day long.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Why can no-one find PE2 are people blind. I ordered a couple of PE2's on Tuesday from camskill and got them today. They are also still on blackcircles.

PE2's all day long.

Did you order 15s? I think most people are referring to 16s when asking the question.

Renault Sport Clio 182
i used to love my Uniroyal rainsport 2's on my old valver (had mk2 ph2 wheels) and wanted them on the 182 when i had to have 4 new tyres about 3 weeks ago, but nowhere in Portsmouth had them in stock at the time and there was a 3-4 week wait :eek:, so i went for 4 new PE3's and they seems pretty good so far compared to what was on there before (previous owner had put falken something's on)

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I have conti's on mine at the mo and i hate them. They squirm and squeal, dont inspire confidence. I have nexen's on my 182 wheels and they are surprisingly good (not recommending them but i was pleaseantly surprised by them). PE2's for me next!

My mate had nexens on his 306 and honestly its embarrassing to go in the car with him as they pretty much squeal pretty much constantly. Budget Tyres are such a false economy on more than one level.

as said above.. i had a set of conti's once squeeled like a b**ch.. found them quite crap aswel tbh especially in the wet i dare even say i had more confidence on T1R's in the rain

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I know their not on your list but Toyo Proxes T1r, I love them seem nice and sticky while wet and dry, but this could just be cause they are a massive improvement on the Arrowspeed N1000's that were on my car when i bought it, got a good looking tread pattern as well, i would like to try the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's not heard anything negative about them.

I know their not on your list but Toyo Proxes T1r, I love them seem nice and sticky while wet and dry, but this could just be cause they are a massive improvement on the Arrowspeed N1000's that were on my car when i bought it, got a good looking tread pattern as well, i would like to try the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's not heard anything negative about them.

like the T1R's myself.. infact i prefered them 2 the goodyear F1's that were on when i purhased it but the best set up i found was when i had the toyo's on the front and F1's on the rear.. want 2 try the paradas now

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
i got the hankooks they get some good reviews on here although im not 100% keen on them yet sidewalls are rarther soft il be going for paradas next time

Clio 172 Cup
Just put a pair of Michelin PilotSport 3's on the front of my Cup (Conti's on the rear) and I have to say I'm impressed. Dry grip is fantastic but the wet grip is just phenomenal, it just keeps on hanging on until at the limit it gently breaks away. Trail braking in the wet, no problem.

I fitted the tyres myself and normally, unless you're lucky you would expect to use 20-30g of balance weights inside and outside but on the Michelins only 10g per wheel total!!

LOVE these tyres.