ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu - a good Linux client?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Oh well.. maybe not lol

When you boot the disk.. just hit enter at the menu.. it will boot into a fully working desktop with a shortcut that says "install" double click and follow the on-screen instructions.

Once installed you should update the system and all the installed apps.. a couple days ago that was 170mb of updates (remember your updating ALL the applications installed and the OS) there is also a kernel update which means you will need a reboot to activate the new kernel.

You will only need to reboot on kernel updates.. a ubuntu system in my work is now at over 1 year uptime and it runs like when it booted on day 1.

Punto/Clio GTT
the cd is in the drive, its drive is set to boot first, and this comes up, i hit enter and it repeats itself

DSCF0936.gif

Not a Clio
Either:

A) It's not reading the drive at all.
B) ISO wasn't burnt as an image.
C) Media is knackered.

Punto/Clio GTT
when my main harddrive is plugged in (my sata one) my dvd drive in my boot list comes up as a different name, but when imy sata harddrive unplugged and my IDE 20 gig is plugged in(that im installing ubuntu on) my dvd drive comes up as an ATAPI CD?

anything to do with it?

cant i boot ubuntu from this harddrive with my 20 gig set as slave and install it this way? can i select which harddrive to put it on or will it go crazy and try install it on my master?

*EDITTED*

Not a Clio
You can't install it from windows. That's just a mix of free software menu that you get when you mount or run the CD from within windows.

Punto/Clio GTT
so i gotta get it booting from the disc then.

so what would be your first step to check.

brb ill take a picture of how its booting now

Not a Clio
Got a windows CD?

See if that boots, if it doesn't then it's something to do with your drive.
If it does then it's something to do with the media that you burnt Ubuntu to.

Punto/Clio GTT
uploading pictures now. it all looks ok to me

tomorrow i might take out my gf's IDE cd drive and run that with the IDE harrdrive and see if that works as i dont like mixing satas n ides

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Make sure your hard drive and cd drive arent both set to master on the IDE chain or both set to slave !

Punto/Clio GTT
so tomorrow if i plug my gfs ide cdr in my machine, how would i set it up

both running ide

jumper on cdr to master

jumper on harddrive to slave, boot cd first hd second?

Not a Clio
IDE harddrive primary master
IDE CDROM secondary master

In other words set the jumpers both to master, put the HDD in primary and CDROM in secondary.

Punto/Clio GTT
secondary master? will that be on the cdr then as on my hd all its got is master, slave, cable select, cylinder limit

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
He means on on a different IDE channel.. eg plugged into a different IDE lead. That would be the best way to do it but if you only have one IDE lead set one as master and the other as slave.

Not a Clio
in that case then as KDE says, HDD as master, CDROM as slave and make sure you connect them to the right ends of the cable.

Punto/Clio GTT
cabbaging me. HDD goes as master, by master you mean from jumper on the back?
cdrom as slave, by slave you mean jumper on the back?

and ide plugs into the motherboard, the first plug goes into the HDD and the one that branches off goes into the cd rom?

then i set cdrom to boot first in BIOS and HDD as secondary boot?

right?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Right.

Cept it doesnt actually matter what order you put them on the IDE cable as its the jumpers that determine that.. it only matters what order you put them on the IDE cable if you set the jumpers to CS (cable select) ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
i always thought that but when j said " make sure you connect them to the right ends of the cable." it cabbaged me like, ooh maybe it does matter lol

Punto/Clio GTT
bag of w**k ubuntu tripe.

right, hooked up the ide cdrom and it booted fine, went to install ubuntu, bar came up, it started installin it, then it went to another screen where it was checking loads and loads of stuff, a black screen with white scrolling writing, LOADS of errors on that.

it then came to a screen which said ubuntu comes with free software but there is no warranty with it, please see xxxxx file for information and it froze on that screen.

restarted pc and installed it again and it stuck on the orange loading bar. so i decided to restart the pc and try again and thought ide give the disc check utility a try

DSCF0946.gif

20 errors on the disc.

restarted the pc and tried again, got past the orange bar and this pops up

DSCF0949.gif

[smug] so, great start to ubuntu which is supposidly the daddy of OS. I had 1 partition problem when installing vista, sorted it out straight away and it installed without a single hiccup.

[/smug]

Not a Clio
If it's finding errors on the integrity check it means either the ISO was bad or the burn was bad.- Not ubuntu's fault!

Punto/Clio GTT
well all ive done is download what you told me, burnt it and tried it.

who elses fault is it lol

cmon then brains now what, try the older linux and install that?

Not a Clio
Did your burning app (was it nero?) check the checksum? If that was ok then the burn or media must have been dodgy in which case reburn to a different disc.

If the checksum didn't checkout then you need to download the ISO again.

Not a Clio
If you want I can send you 7.04 on an official ubuntu CD but I can't give you a burn of 7.10 tribe 5 because I've got no spare CD's.

Punto/Clio GTT
ok downloaded nero

went to Back Up tab and selected Burn Image to CD.

burnt it, 7.04, no errors no problems.

switched it all around again and it booted up into the ubuntu start screen, i clicked install and it froze on loading and then error box came up saying unable to read disc, reboot.

clicked enter and it rebooted then it went back to this screen

DSCF0936.gif

ideas? gettin bored of it now, just reinforcing my battle against kdf that vista aint as bad as you linux geeks make out :D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I just installed this umbongo os on my mac book

Pretty impressive!

Picture1-1.png

Not a Clio
ok downloaded nero

went to Back Up tab and selected Burn Image to CD.

burnt it, 7.04, no errors no problems.

switched it all around again and it booted up into the ubuntu start screen, i clicked install and it froze on loading and then error box came up saying unable to read disc, reboot.

clicked enter and it rebooted then it went back to this screen

DSCF0936.gif

ideas? gettin bored of it now, just reinforcing my battle against kdf that vista aint as bad as you linux geeks make out :D

Your problems aren't ubuntu related.

Look, pm me your address and I'll send you 7.04 on CD, that way we can rule out dodgy ISO's, bad burns and dodgy media.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ He's right.

The 'problem' with Ubuntu, is it verifies itself at every step of the way, if there is any problems with your hardware... or the download of the ISO or even burning it to disk it WILL let you know !! why install a faulty program.

Downloading a large file can introduce the possibility of corrupt packets.. the only way to sort it is to download it again. Thats what the MD5 checksum is for though. When you load the ISO in Nero it will generate and MD5 checksum, verify it against the MD5 checksum that Ubuntu provides.. if they are the same you have a 100% perfect download. Burn using nero, and burn at a slower rate (no more than 4x).

The real question you should be asking is.. why didn't vista pick up all these issues with your system !