ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ubuntu Server?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
No graphical environment? I thought ubuntu was pitched as Linux for human beings?

The only server download I can find has no graphical environment? Help?!

DarthCake said:
No graphical environment? I thought ubuntu was pitched as Linux for human beings?

The only server download I can find has no graphical environment? Help?!

Because a graphical interface on a server isn't needed. (and probably frowned upon)

However, you could always apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it'd install GNOME.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
bollox.. the whole dont install a gui on a server is so elitist.. I have mulitple server running in my work.. am qualified to use them and still install the GUI. I find it quicker to update have multiple shells and desktops than to stick to ctrl+f(num) all the time.

Okay it might run in runlevel 3 most of the time but runlevel 5 is only a short command away..

KDF said:
bollox.. the whole dont install a gui on a server is so elitist.. I have mulitple server running in my work.. am qualified to use them and still install the GUI. I find it quicker to update have multiple shells and desktops than to stick to ctrl+f(num) all the time.

Okay it might run in runlevel 3 most of the time but runlevel 5 is only a short command away..

Why do you need it though?
SSH from a workstation box..
My server doesn't even have a monitor, nor does it need one apart from if it doesn't boot.
I have my laptop with OSX Terminal. I have my desktop with PuTTY.

I can guarantee most servers, running Linux/BSD in the world, don't have X installed.. nor do they really need it. I can't think of one GUI tool I'd use to make any config changes to any file.

Seems you just have X to run multiple terminals - which if I had a monitor on the box, I probably would too.. but that's a bit different than using some random X tool to configure something. ;)
I certainly wouldn't have a desktop environment running.. Fluxbox would be my choice as it's perfect for this type of work.