ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu Server?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
No graphical environment? I thought ubuntu was pitched as Linux for human beings?

The only server download I can find has no graphical environment? Help?!

DarthCake said:
No graphical environment? I thought ubuntu was pitched as Linux for human beings?

The only server download I can find has no graphical environment? Help?!

Because a graphical interface on a server isn't needed. (and probably frowned upon)

However, you could always apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it'd install GNOME.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
bollox.. the whole dont install a gui on a server is so elitist.. I have mulitple server running in my work.. am qualified to use them and still install the GUI. I find it quicker to update have multiple shells and desktops than to stick to ctrl+f(num) all the time.

Okay it might run in runlevel 3 most of the time but runlevel 5 is only a short command away..

KDF said:
bollox.. the whole dont install a gui on a server is so elitist.. I have mulitple server running in my work.. am qualified to use them and still install the GUI. I find it quicker to update have multiple shells and desktops than to stick to ctrl+f(num) all the time.

Okay it might run in runlevel 3 most of the time but runlevel 5 is only a short command away..

Why do you need it though?
SSH from a workstation box..
My server doesn't even have a monitor, nor does it need one apart from if it doesn't boot.
I have my laptop with OSX Terminal. I have my desktop with PuTTY.

I can guarantee most servers, running Linux/BSD in the world, don't have X installed.. nor do they really need it. I can't think of one GUI tool I'd use to make any config changes to any file.

Seems you just have X to run multiple terminals - which if I had a monitor on the box, I probably would too.. but that's a bit different than using some random X tool to configure something. ;)
I certainly wouldn't have a desktop environment running.. Fluxbox would be my choice as it's perfect for this type of work.