ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Update / thoughts

For those of you who dont know, Ive just sold my car and am returning to hot Clio ownership...kind of downsizing! (see profile for old cars). Ive put a deposit down on Daipacs absolutely spotless low-mileage Ph2 172 in Monaco Blue and will hopefully pick it up this coming weekend.

Thoughts:

1. Buying from a forum member

This has to be recommended! I sold both my 16V and Williams via the forum, but have only now myself bought through Cliosport. For starters youre pretty much guaranteed to be buying from someone who loves their car - yes, it will have been driven as was intended...but nine out of ten will also have been regularly pampered and fixed as soon as anything goes wrong. You can also check through the old posts to see whats gone wrong and whats been done about it. What use are stamps in a book when youve got the forum search function?!

2. Clio Dynamique

Im running around in my mums 04 1.2 Dynamique for the week while Im car-less. Ive just cleaned it as part of the deal of borrowing it - and reckon that Nordic Green is an excellent choice for anyone getting a non-Renaultsport Clio. Its like a very deep black with a greeny-bluey twinge to it. Otherwise, because its got the climate/air-con option and pretty reasonable trim, its very similar to driving a very slow 172! Im so impressed by the ride, brakes and handling (not to be confused with grip). Its certainly no ball of fire, but it makes you ask serious questions about why you need anything bigger/faster than this. Cant wait to get my mits on the 172 - driving the Dynamique is like being teased with half a 172!

3. Keeping your car choice modest

Its a funny old world. My car-loving friends really respected my Fiat Coupe (well, after Id given them a sickness-inducing introduction to its acceleration anyway ;)). But they just cant see why Im going for "another Clio" - theyve got cars like a Honda S2000 and Pug 406 Coupe 3.0. I think theres a lot to be said for not bankrupting yourself with your choice of car. Like many people I could have afforded something far more snazzy, but although I love my cars I also like holidays, mountain bikes and err...sofas, bathrooms, clothes, eating etc. I think the Renaultsport Clios of all varieties provide an excellent choice for the car lover on a budget.(y)

welcome back Ben !!! :D be good to see you again at one of the meets, and in a "fellow CSers" car - youre right about the tlc and the correctly driven with Dais car - and the sale of it goes to fund big and great things for Dai and J!

Lionel Richie

you obviously missed the bit on the forum where "The welsh wonder" managed to spin off at spa???

his is slow BTW, he couldnt get past my 1.2 on track

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 06 February 2005

you obviously missed the bit on the forum where "The welsh wonder" managed to spin off at spa???

yes, but be honest, Dai couldnt get the car cleaned up and checked and sorted quick enough could he !!!

Lionel Richie

true chairwoman, very true! (i was only joking)

the cleanest part of his car is the vanity mirror (drivers side)

I read through all Dais posts to do with spinning off! It doesnt bother me as the damage was purely cosmetic (no panels) and it was fixed properly right away.

Ben you will have to let us know how it compares to your old Willy. Daipacs car did look very mint indeed!

Enid - I was saying to Dai on the test drive how surprised I was to find that the 172 felt similar to my old 16V and Williams. Probably down to the same design philosophy, some common parts and Renaults preferences for damping rates etc. The biggest differences I noticed over the two Mk1s were the ace brakes, driving position, taller cabin and seemingly steeper windscreen angle on the Mk2 Clio.

Ill do a full report some time on the acceleration/handling etc. - but on first impressions the 172 is about the same as my old Williams in speed terms. All Renaults Ive driven have had a good ride, no matter how "sporty" - and the 172 seems to carry on this tradition. The low-down torque is right there at 2,000rpm, just as with the old F7R Williams 2.0. Probably the biggest improvement on the 172 is the throttle response, which is razor sharp (is it drive by wire?).

I was probably guilty of subscribing to the whole "old is better" philosophy when it came to the Williams in the past. Ill wait and see whether I still believe that in a few months time! To be fair though, I bought the Willy purely as an emotional decision - whereas with the 172 its practical and emotive.

Cant wait to get the 172 now! :D Part of the excitement is being a fully-participative Cliosport member again and getting to some meets. Its a great club we have here.

Hope you are enjoying the car Ben. Cheers for the comments in your e-mail too. It was a pleasure to sell to another Cliosporter.

:D

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 06 February 2005

I have only just seen this ! Fred you cheeky fooker ! You dont want me to post up videos of you ploughing through the field at Curborough after spinning off do you ?

;)

If the roles were reversed you wouldnt have got past either. I was even slowing down on the straights so I didnt get too close.

;)