ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Megane Mk3

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
In the next year I'm going to trade in the 172 my Subaru legacy and go to one car for me, plus a learner shed for my son. So I'm looking for a car that can both do daily duties (5000 miles per year) and the occasional track day (2-3 per year). I like the look of the Mk3 RS Megane. I know the usual failures and expensive stuff to look out for (Gear boxes, swivel hubs, Air con, belts/dephaser). Anything else to worry about? Rust?
Before my heart gets set on one, has anyone else run one as a Daily, and transported family with it? Just wondering how hard the suspension is, and how the rear seats are. I previously had a VW CC (3.6 V6 4motion) and the low rear seats with high window line lead to a lot of car sickness.
Picture of the cars for attention.

20220504_150013.jpg

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve ran one as a daily since 2017, bar usual niggles mines been fine but I don’t have a family, there’s only me in it.

Of all things listed I think that will cause you an issue, the rear windows are almost non existent
Thanks. I'll have to take a family member for a test drive. It's not often i use the rear seats, but when i do it's usually for a long trip. The reason the family like the legacy is that there is a lot of windows , which really helps the travel sickness.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'd definitely be cautious about a Megane if the rear seats are important, as they're not that big in the back and, as @Gavin. said, the rear side windows are all but non-existent. In reality, if you want something that blends fun and family, you might be better with a five-door Leon Cupra or Golf GTI. I loved my MK3 Megane, but I never had to carry other people.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Appreciate the feedback. It's a tough balancing act. i had a impreza WRX wagon that was fantastic to drive, but small in the back (my eldest is 6ft) so it wasn't really suitable for long trips. The VW CC had loads of room in the back, but really poor visibility. And wasn't much fun to drive.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Fried of mine has had one from new, on 120k now and is his family/daily. Son is now 13 and they even do trips to Italy in it. Seems to work fine for them.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I have had my Meg Cup-S for 5 years. Its my daily (5k per year). Although use my Push-Bike most of time. Just normal servicing for me but only on 25k.

Just back from 1200 miles in it. Wife in Passenger Recaro, Daughter in rear (13 now, 8 when bought) Her legs getting longer but my wife's are not!!!. Boot loaded up. 40 mpg on Motorway ( which is a 50 mph road).

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
When I was up in Scotland last week. My Wife was in the back with daughter and Mum ( 76) and my Dad in front (81). All ok barring some help passing seatbelts.