ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade on a budget

172beast

Decided to splash out on a new motherboard and cpu for my pc, on a budget, had 100 quid to spend (trackday yesterday was cancelled so got 125 quid refund lol), so I bought a asrock motherboard and Intel Pentium 4 D 805 Dual core 2x2.66GHz, total came to around 90 quid from Microdirect.

Did a bit of research and spotted this interesting article -> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/

Sounds to good to be true to me! Budget dual core overclocked to expensive dual core beating speeds? Anyone use this cpu and clocked it?

RB 182
Similar thing happened with the Opteron (think it was the 146) you could overclock it to much higher than it was set without any problem, I think Griff may have done it and a few others. They ended up being like gold dust.

What you need to understand is how much heat Smithfield pumps out. Even at standard clock its about 70w. Unless you are willing to spend another £150 on water cooling there will be no point overclocking the thing. Just stick to Prescott.

172beast

Yeah I've read it can run hot, but I've read it runs no hotter when clocked to, mixed reviews really. Guess I'll see when it comes, apparently theres summit called a Artic Freezer Cool 7 or summit thats not rate expensive and can cool it fine up to 4ghz anyway, I'll see what temps it runs at out the box then clock it and see what it runs out, see how hot it gets under loads and that.

172 cup'd extreme
ive got an 805 running at 4ghz just needs a decent board and ram to get get that high, the whole pc is using 553watts at full load !!!!!

Fabia vRS
ive got an 805 running at 4ghz just needs a decent board and ram to get get that high, the whole pc is using 553watts at full load !!!!!

are you running air or water cooling?

i get to 3.8ghz and under hard load it starts to get unstable, but i think it's down to a lack of power issue rather than anything else.

need a new psu, and some arctic silver to help with conducting heat. i run a zalman 9500 cooler.