ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrade throttle bodies

Range Rover Sport
Want to upgrade the throttle bodies on my sport 172, can anyone give me any ideas

If it is actual bodies you have I was under the impression the larger the better for torque.

If it's a 'throttle bodie' i.e OEM they don't need upgrading as they are not the restriction.

340i
It just has standard throttle body was wondering if there is an after market upgrade or maybe something off a megane etc would be bigger ?

NO.

There is no benefit of changing the throttle body, I am not sure where people have got this ridiculous idea from recently. :rolleyes:

FYI, the RS Megane (225, r26 etc.) throttle body is alot smaller in comparison.

clio sport 172
NO.

There is no benefit of changing the throttle body, I am not sure where people have got this ridiculous idea from recently. :rolleyes:

FYI, the RS Megane (225, r26 etc.) throttle body is alot smaller in comparison.

Bigger the throttle body the more air it will suck the bigger combustion, why would u get bigger throttle bodies if it makes no difference ?

Range Rover Sport
Afaik it started on 197.net

they spunk themselves into comas forcing a bit more air into their engines with no extra fuel.

In 'theory' a larger throttlebodie will help aid more air.

However an argument against that 'theory' is surely the engine can only use as much as physically possible so having a larger throttle body may not help.

OP: If you have £150 burning a hole in the pocket and it must be spent on the 'induction' side. A more restrictive part is the upper and lower intake/inlet manifold however even those are not MEGA restrictive.

clio sport 172
Surely a bigger throttle body and remapped it would make a difference, will sound better atleast

340i
Bigger the throttle body the more air it will suck the bigger combustion, why would u get bigger throttle bodies if it makes no difference ?

The throttle body on a Clio 1*2 is not a restriction, the engine is already getting 'enough' air with the standard configuration.

Surely a bigger throttle body and remapped it would make a difference, will sound better atleast

no and no.

Range Rover Sport
RS Tuner and 'matched' inlets would be the better route.

Again, only expect minimal gains though. Problem with N/A tuning is from the factory modern cars usually have an O.K air/induction set up.

The honda S2000 is a prime example of this...

clio sport 172
The throttle body on a Clio 1*2 is not a restriction, the engine is already getting 'enough' air with the standard configuration.

no and no.

What would your suggestions be then seeing as you are bein so helpful and a fountain of knowledge

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Better of spending your money on a really good set of tyres and maybe a suspension refresh than power on a 1*2.

clio sport 172
Better of spending your money on a really good set of tyres and maybe a suspension refresh than power on a 1*2.
thanks for some constructive advise m8, i got spax psx sus and tyres. to be honest im probably more just looking for things to do now as body etc looks mint

340i
What would your suggestions be then seeing as you are bein so helpful and a fountain of knowledge

Ok, if you want some constructive feedback....

What is the current spec of your car?

What are you wanting to achieve?

What is your budget?

clio sport 172
the engine is standard bar a k&n induction its got spax adjustable dampers and scorpion back box, aint really got a budget but obviously i understand the value of the car and that its not a ferrari. im a painter by trade so the exterior of the car is in excellent condition, just looking for more things to do through boredom maybe, but i do really like the car its fun

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It just has standard throttle body was wondering if there is an after market upgrade or maybe something off a megane etc would be bigger ?

The throttle body on there is already more than capable upto 250bhp if on an appropriate spec engine and manifold etc.

It seems unlikely therefore that you really need a bigger one, all it will do is lose you resolution by making it make peak power at less throttle angle, thus giving you less control.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
thanks for some constructive advise m8, i got spax psx sus and tyres. to be honest im probably more just looking for things to do now as body etc looks mint

If you want more power in a 1*2 you're going to have to go to one of six routes (there are probably way more but I'm telling you the ones that I've actually seen):

1) Get your inlets ported and polished - £
2) Cams - ££
3) ITBs - £££
4) Turbo Kit - ££££
5) Supercharged - ££££
6) Big build highly strung N/A tuned engine - £££££
7) VAG engine & box swap - £££££

As you probably know any change in the airbox will probably lose power and any change in exhaust will just create more noise - both are worthless for performance reasons.

Personally I've never driven a RenaultSport product that felt like it needs more power, driver feedback and adjustability are the key to making a fast 1*2 (same with any RS model IMO).

Last edited:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
As above they're comparatively large compared to most cars with the same engine size anyway. Super pointless upgrade. Throttle bodies on the hand...not so pointless, but depends on your enthusiasm. If you're going to do anything to the engine do some research into cams.

clio sport 172
Some things I'll look into, I know u don't produce much more power from these engines but the odd upgrade that ain't gonna cost a bomb will just give me something to do and improve the car slightly

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
This has caused some controversy lol. It seems to me if I need I want more power buy a more powerful car. The car ain't slow as is but was thinking more along the lines of sound etc ie decat pipe but cams and stuff wouldn't cost the earth and as the body is straight might be worth while

Absolutely. Renault don't build the RS Megane for no reason.

53 Clio's & counting
This has caused some controversy lol. It seems to me if I need I want more power buy a more powerful car. The car ain't slow as is but was thinking more along the lines of sound etc ie decat pipe but cams and stuff wouldn't cost the earth and as the body is straight might be worth while

Cams are expensive mate. These engines are very specific on cam timing, and it has to be done using the correct cam locking tools in the correct procedure - if this is not done, the timing will be out and you will be down 25bhp odd - I bet at least half of all 172/182's out there have incorrect timing. When you change cams, you will need to replace the belt at least (Whole kit unless it has been changed recently) and that will add £500 to the cost of the cams.

Unfortunately, these engines are not easy for getting power out of - to give you an idea, to get close to 200bhp (A genuine 200bhp, not an inflated 'play with the air temp settings until the graph shows what I want' figure) I needed individual throttle bodies.

For proper power you need to go forced induction, or ITB's and cams - both fairly costly unless you can do the bulk of work yourself

Clio
Unfortunately mate it has been proven time and time again, to get Any real noticeable gains from these engines, you need a four figure budget. Cheapest worthwhile engine mod being cams or an rs2 manifold at well over £1k all in

p.s the best money you'll spend on the car is £12 for full membership on here ;)
people may come across the wrong way but there is a wealth of knowledge on here!

clio sport 172
Unfortunately mate it has been proven time and time again, to get Any real noticeable gains from these engines, you need a four figure budget. Cheapest worthwhile engine mod being cams or an rs2 manifold at well over £1k all in

p.s the best money you'll spend on the car is £12 for full membership on here ;)
people may come across the wrong way but there is a wealth of knowledge on here!

I agree lol sometimes u don't get the reply u expect

Clio 172 phase 1
Gunna be honest stripped out is the way forward ... Go on a track day up against a 106 rallye or gti there so light and agile and are nippy they seem to keep piping up near bigger stuff..... If you want it to go faster on budget stripping it is the way forward coupled with some light bucket seats and your away mines stripped with a oreca exhaust k&n typhoon induction kit and just a bloody good service and maintenance it's the best way for it .... Unless you've got £3k kicking around for big power " engine dynamics turbo kit"

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
As Dan will testify to the only thing that kills f4r engines is bad mapping. Boost or without boost

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you? There are plenty of charged clios out there without issues.

I think the problem comes from someone taking a 100K+ miles engine and then hugely increasing the power it puts out and then cause its now exciting you end up driving it flat out everywhere just cause its fun to do so, thats bound to lead to a shortened life ultimately.

But I agree that specced, built and mapped properly, they can be very reliable.

Boost does tend to exagerate other problems though, like if for example your rings are on the way out, you might lose 20bhp and still get another 10K miles out of it on a standard engine, but with boost it will pump all its oil out the breather and be far more dramatic. But bottom line is if your engine was breathing you have an issue either way of course, so its not really the boost thats the issue and both still need fixing.

Plenty of meganes out there on 100K+ without a problem which again proves it can work.