ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrade to 197 or 200?

Clio 182 Black Gold
Hi everyone,

Ive currently got a 182 and thinking of upgrading to a 197 or 200 in a few months. I am tempted by some other makes but i do love the clio sport. Just wondering if anyone has done the same and upgraded from a mk2 to a mk3?? and if it was a good choice.

Also what are the optional extras on the mk3 to try and get when buying..

Thanks!

RS6 C7
I'd only get an r27 if i was to get a 197, Dad had a plain 197 a few years back and it seemed a bit dull. Whatever you buy make sure it has Recaro's and the cup chassis.

Definitely go for a R27 as it has Recaros, cup suspension and outstanding handling as standard. Avoid early 197s as the gearboxes were diffferent. I would also say make sure it has xenon lights as well but that is purely my choice. Much better than the cornering lights. Climate control is also an essential for me. Apart from that prepare yourself for the fuel bills. Most struggle to make 30mpg.

Clio 172 cup
They are an upgrade in build quality and refinement

Theres no upgrade in performance

And there is a downgrade in fuel ecomomy ie 10mpg less

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Or a loaded 197 with all the options. Dont really get the CS fascination with R27's, a standard 197 can be specced the same as a R27, and you cant get a R27 in White ;)

Also early 197 gearboxes are fine, they just rev a bit higher in 5th/6th. No other component changes.

Monaco 172
Definitely go for a R27 as it has Recaros, cup suspension and outstanding handling as standard. Avoid early 197s as the gearboxes were diffferent. I would also say make sure it has xenon lights as well but that is purely my choice. Much better than the cornering lights. Climate control is also an essential for me. Apart from that prepare yourself for the fuel bills. Most struggle to make 30mpg.

Gearboxes only have 750rpm difference in 6th gear not huge change and it didn't come in until early 2008 so a lot of early R27 have this box too.

My opinion find a tidy R27 and a standard 197 with recaros and drive both then test a 200 to decided probably not a great deal in it. I used to have ff197 with just recaros and it was awesome, cup chassis is good but a good bit firmer Ride depends on what you need it for.

Everyone is different.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Or a loaded 197 with all the options. Dont really get the CS fascination with R27's, a standard 197 can be specced the same as a R27, and you cant get a R27 in White ;)

Also early 197 gearboxes are fine, they just rev a bit higher in 5th/6th. No other component changes.

They were the first to come with cup chassis werent they? And they have the exclusivity that comes with the numbered plaque :p

And ly>white :approve:

Clio 182 FF cup'd
What are the exact differentces between an R27 and a 'normal' 197 then just out of interest?

I believe you can spec a 197 to R27 spec (Minus the numbered plaque and stickers)

R27 comes as standard with:
Cup Chassis (Lower ride height, stiffened Dampers, Red brembos, anthracite wheels)
Rear Tints
Recaros
F1 Team stickers (optional to remove these)
Option of Liquid yellow paint on R27 only
Limited to 500 UK models

RS6 C7
I believe you can spec a 197 to R27 spec (Minus the numbered plaque and stickers)

R27 comes as standard with:
Cup Chassis (Lower ride height, stiffened Dampers, Red brembos, anthracite wheels)
Rear Tints
Recaros
F1 Team stickers (optional to remove these)
Option of Liquid yellow paint on R27 only
Limited to 500 UK models

You can even by the plaques on ebay ;)