ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade to Coilovers or LSD first?

Planning on improving the handling of my track 172 in the coming months. Currently handling wise its on cup shocks with cooksport springs, fully polybushed, rear ARB, camber bolts, PMS top mounts and geo setup. Running R888s/AD08Rs depending on conditions.

Planning on upgrading to ASTs, and getting a quaife limited slip diff eventually, just wondering what would make the most noticeable improvements to my car in its current spec.

My plan was to get the coilovers first then diff, but after a wet/damp trackday last week Im wondering if the diff would be best to get first. Seemed to struggle putting power down coming out of corners.

How much better would ASTs be over my current suspension?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
LSD will make a bigger difference.
Spaffy suspension is no use if you cant get the power down :up:
But if you haven't got spaffy (wtf?) suspension you probably won't be going fast enough... lol

I'd go ASTs first personally, not every track day will be wet. If you said average spec coilovers then yeah a diff would be more beneficial, but the ASTs will make a huge difference IMO.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Why not get both?

Something like BC's with an 8kg/8kg setup will be sufficient enough for a few track days as year. The driver will reach the limit before they will.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
But if you haven't got spaffy (wtf?) suspension you probably won't be going fast enough... lol
lol, i meant spiffy as "pretty shiny things".
The standard shocks/cooksports/camber/RARB/R888's are more than adequate to carry decent speed on track, i had a similar setup on the Trophy for years, bar the front Sachs of course. In reality, setting up a set of decent coilovers properly takes experience and ALOT of trial & error, wet/dry setup, different settings for different tracks, etc etc etc, i had/have them all for my Meisters/Ohlins.
You bung a Quaife in and it makes an obvious difference, instantly.
Before/after Quaife in the R53 was literally seconds a lap and i already had a VERY sorted chassis.
Same with the R56, the Ohlins were good, but the Quaife gave more for its £££'s.

Why not get both?

Something like BC's with an 8kg/8kg setup will be sufficient enough for a few track days as year. The driver will reach the limit before they will.

Plan is to get both, just not at the same time, as its around 3k+ for both!

Also heard lots of good stuff about the ASTs, so would prefer to get them rather than 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Im not unhappy with the cars current suspension as it is, id just like to improve the car over time.