ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade/Update Mac and Imac

M135i, 118 coupe
Had my macbook and Imac for about 3 years now and i wanted to put a bigger internal hardrive in them and add some RAM, not interested i spending a couple of grand on new ones as these just need abit of improving.

Can anyone tell me anywhere that does this/sells the parts or done it themselves?

Liam

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its easy.

What versions of the iMac and MacBook do you have?

M135i, 118 coupe
ERRRRmmm lol

Imac is the 17inch version, the one with the white backing not the new one
Mac book is 13inch white core 2 duo

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah both easy.

Step 1: Before you begin
Shut down your MacBook. Disconnect the power adapter, Ethernet cable, and any other cords connected to the MacBook, in order to prevent damaging the computer.
Turn the computer over.
Review and follow MacBook: How to remove or install the battery to remove the battery.
Step 2: Installing the new Memory

HT1651_12-MB_White-Remove_battery_bay_bracket-001-mul.jpg

Using a Phillips size 00 screwdriver, unscrew the three captive screws that secure the L-bracket.
Pull out the long end of the bracket first to remove it from the battery bay of your computer. (Levers on the memory slot spring out when you remove the bracket.)

Touch a metal surface inside the computer to discharge any static electricity from your body.
If you need to remove a memory card, follow these instructions: In one swift motion, use your thumb or index finger to move the lever to the left and release it. This swift motion ejects the memory card, and the lever then springs back to the starting position. Pull out the memory module(s).
Note: If any of the following issues occur, see an Apple-authorized service technician to complete the memory card installation:

lever wobbles
lever offers no resistance
lever is stuck
lever does not return to starting position

Insert the new memory modules into the slots.
Insert the gold edge first, with the notch on the left side.
Use two fingers with firm even pressure to push in the memory modules.
If the levers don't return to the closed position, move them to the right to close them.

Note: You may need to use increased firm pressure in order to ensure that the memory seats properly. If you do not seat the memory correctly, it could result in a "no power" situation, or the memory may not being recognized by the computer.

HT1651_13-MB_White-Seat_memory-001-en.jpg

Replace the L-bracket by inserting the short end first and tightening the screws.

HT1651_14-MB_White-Replace_battery_bay_bracket-001-mul.jpg

Hard Drive Removal

M135i, 118 coupe
Thanks Tom really helpful, might need to take it to Apple to get the hardrive cloned.

Can you recommend anywhere to buy parts before i google?

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Crucial memory...

I got some RAM for my iMac from them. Came in a few days and was pretty cheap I think.