ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgraded cams for 182

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Which is the best set of cams to run on the 182? I will also be fitting a sm inlet

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
I've been on the catcam website but can't find anywhere with a price? What's the difference between the 2?

Teg
Not used either but from what I've read there's little between them... If your using the standard inlet go for 438s. 438s are smoother on idle too. 421s might give a little more top end.

Someone who's used them might be able to give a better answer.

Edit.. Just seen your fitting an SM inlet and not using standard. Not too sure what you'll be best off with then

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Do a proper search on what cams work with an RS2...there was quite some discussion about which were best to use.
I remember some types not behaving as predicted.
Since the SM is similar it might be of interest.
I think this was when using 197 cams with different timing started aswell

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I think the 421's run more overlap than the 438's (anyone know the lift at tdc for 438?) which is where idle issues come from
and at low to mid revs the back of the interior the plenum on the rs2/sm will act as a pulse plate and cause some random air flow but as revs rise it would become more optimal and give slightly better power.

Clio RS172 Ph2
I think the 421's run more overlap than the 438's (anyone know the lift at tdc for 438?) which is where idle issues come from
and at low to mid revs the back of the interior the plenum on the rs2/sm will act as a pulse plate and cause some random air flow but as revs rise it would become more optimal and give slightly better power.

I have been told that the 438`s and 421`s are (almost) the same camshafts, only timed differently! Like @masekwm said, you can time the 438`s the same as 421`s (and vice versa), but you can`t use the stock locking tool/timing mark in that case.

438`s have beter idle then the 421`s when you mount them on the timing mark! 421`s gives a bit more at high rpm.

@Sj1782: Colombo & Bariani (C&B) and Schrick are very good as well!

@bloke: Arent they almost the same, Schrick and C&B? (and I thought Engine Dynamics also, but they don`t make them anymore)

Last edited:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Interested in this topic myself. Running a RS2 on my 182, mapped by RS Tuning.
Belts are due in a couple years time, so may go down the route of camshaft with the RS2 setup when they need doing. I thought the 197 cams were considered the best setup with this, and around 195bhp possible, some managed to reach 200bhp i believe.

What kind of power is expected from running 421 and 438 cams on a car without a RS2 or SM inlet? Say with Exhaust, induction kit and matched inlets?

clio 172
I have the car complete it's been stood at my cousins since Christmas.
Ide rather sell the complete car for spares if anyone is interested . Has loads of new components in the year of driving .