ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading alternator

Has anybody upgraded their alternators in a clio.

I ain't got a clue how hard it would be or how much it would cost... has anybody got any ideas?

Lunner said:
Upgraded to what?

Higher output, or freer floating bearings or both.

£100-£200

Freer what?? :S

There's a place in harlow that sells re-coil'd ones with higher output - think they're £140 for 100Amp and £170 for 140Amp (standard is 70Amp and about £90ish) + £100ish for fitting by a garage.

(for valvers, anyway)

Want to get mine done but can't afford it :(

Tweeks sell race spec ones for race cars, they are easer to turn, so have less drain on the engine.

Freeer floating bearings, teh bearings turn easier creating less drag, suprised no one has done it on 1.2s etc frees up about 5bhp

Ah, I seeee.... Are the outputs not lower though because of not having all the luxury gubbins on the car so no need to build them for it?

I guess one thing you could do is get a race one with free-er (how do you spell that? freer? freeer? lol) floating bearings then have it recoiled so you get the best of both worlds?

not sure, i just wanted a higer output one.

my amps could potentially be drawing 200 - 300 amps so i wanted a bigger one to cope.

Search for uprated / upgraded alternators on the www.talkaudio.co.uk forum - there should be a few obvious threads in there that give the contact details of a few places.

Off the top of my head, also search for Zimsounds, Ohio and also Harlow, as that's where one of the other places is based :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
totally agree with the post regarding Talk audio.

But you could stick a clio diesel one on, or even one froma laguna diesel. cheaper than upgraded ones and do the same job.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Lunner said:
Freeer floating bearings, teh bearings turn easier creating less drag, suprised no one has done it on 1.2s etc frees up about 5bhp

this true? whats the power output like on them? mine has done nearly 120,000 miles and i get the feeling its not gona last much longer!