ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading from a 350D

renault clio
My mum's buying a new camera, which luckily she's going to let me use, and she's currently got the canon 350D which is really nice and easy to use but she wants a better camera so is going to get the 50D is she really getting much more camera? I have to say I'm quite excited as she doesnt use the camera every day so will let me use it nearly whenever I want, handy eh as it saves me buying myself one, I reckon I'll be able to persuade her to stick with the old one and use the new one myself. Next up silly question she's never used photoshop or anything like that should she start? She can use a computer but isnt super hot on computer technology but wants to get more into photography so im sure some sort of photoshopping will be needed.

Cupra
50D is a lovely camera but I would hold on for a month or two if possible. There are rumours that the next xxD model will be announced in Feb which will mean 50D prices drop more.

For post processing, I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom all day. It is as easy or complicated as you want for processing and you can get really good results with only a few clicks.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Tbh, the 50D hasnt impressed many canon users, it has interm faults with autofocus and the exposure, 3 shot burst all 3 frames different exposures as if its set to auto bracket.

The 500D however is a nice camera and very easy to use and also has the HD video features.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
The 500D however is a nice camera and very easy to use and also has the HD video features.
+1 on the 500D, which I choose over the 50D because of video. I'd previously always used a bridge camera, because I can't be doing having to have two devices and whilst I mostly shoot photos, I do like having video capabilities too.

500D is a cracker, and what I loose in terms of improved robustness cf. the 50D, is more than made up for by its shooting and video capabilities.

renault clio
I dont think she'll go for the 500d as she doesnt see it as an upgrade, she's now muttering about looking at the 7d, but is still fairly sure she wants the 50d, will the lenses she's got for the 350d fit on both of those? I know they will fit on the 50d just not sure on the 7d. Why she asks me to do her research god only knows but at least it means I end up getting what I'd really like lol

I dont think she'll go for the 500d as she doesnt see it as an upgrade, she's now muttering about looking at the 7d, but is still fairly sure she wants the 50d, will the lenses she's got for the 350d fit on both of those? I know they will fit on the 50d just not sure on the 7d. Why she asks me to do her research god only knows but at least it means I end up getting what I'd really like lol

Get the 7D over the 50D if you're shooting sports for its improved 19 point AF. If you like shooting flash the 7D can fire multiple speed lights with no extra gear on the camera. Then it has video, 8fps, better metering etc.

I'd get the 7D if I had the money but only if I had a really good lens collection already and yes EF-s works with the 7D. Otherwise I'd go 50D and great glass.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Get the 7D over the 50D if you're shooting sports for its improved 19 point AF. If you like shooting flash the 7D can fire multiple speed lights with no extra gear on the camera. Then it has video, 8fps, better metering etc.

I'd get the 7D if I had the money but only if I had a really good lens collection already and yes EF-s works with the 7D. Otherwise I'd go 50D and great glass.

IMO Steer clear of the 50D i know a few pro toggers that tried using it and gave up frustrated, it just fails to deliver.

The 7D Hasnt had a bad review yet tbh, it's ideal for sports + wildlife plus the high ISO it can work upto with useable pictures is brilliant for a crop sensor camera.

renault clio
Well she's done it without my advice, I came home earlier and she's been out and bought the 7D tbh I cant wait to have a little play around with it. It feels lovely to hold fits nicely in the hand, think it's a little complicated for mum but sure I'll get to grips with it nicely just gotta persuade her to let me use it soon.

Well she's done it without my advice, I came home earlier and she's been out and bought the 7D tbh I cant wait to have a little play around with it. It feels lovely to hold fits nicely in the hand, think it's a little complicated for mum but sure I'll get to grips with it nicely just gotta persuade her to let me use it soon.

Nice choice. Really like the look of the 7D.

dk

911 GTS Cab
just for the record, the 50d is a very good camera, nice step up from the 7d, nothing wrong with mine, awesome bit of kit, no problems with sutofocus, or burst or anything else.

7d is nice though, but more money, 50d over the 500d though for sure, video on slr's is such a gimmic imo, how many people on here with d90's actually post any videos they have done on here, it way too time consuming!