ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading Router..

Mini Cooper S
Anyone know if this is possible? My Wireless router has done me well, but it's about five years old now. So, with that said I bet there is more "powerful" routers out there. Can I phone up BT and upgrade from there without taking out a new contract, or can I just buy one in the shops?

Polo (not quite a Clio)
There wouldn't be much benefit, if your current router is serving you well and it supports ADSL2+ (up to 24 Meg speed); then there is no real reason to upgrade.

Unless of course you need advanced features, better wireless standard (wireless N for example) or more switch/wired capacity.

Keep in mind, most laptops and wireless devices are still manufactured to 'G' standard @ 54 Mbps - so any of your old kit will not really benefit.

As far as I'm aware, BT require you to take out a new contract in order to qualify for a new router and besides, it wouldn't be very good (Home Hubs are only average and not worth the 12-18 month contract).

You could go to your local store, aim for a Netgear branded ADSL2/2+ modem / router (don't forget the modem part) and set that up. You could see it as future proofing I guess and may benefit from better stability, speed - especially if you're on a long line.

Let me know if you have any more questions, feel free to add us to MSN or e-mail directly and I'll be happy to advise you further.

All the best,
Ryan