ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Usenet?!?! anyone using it?!

Hey guys,

I know we got some clever people here into downloading.

have heard a bit about downloading from usenet but don't know anything about it.

Any tips or advice, i know its all subscription based but im happy to pay a bit for good connections and stuff like that.

advice appreciated.

cheers

Noel

VaVa
I followed Griff's Tutorial - absolute piece of piss, really striaght forward.

I think it's costing me £8 a month. I've downloaded over 30 gig already this month. lol.

apologies i did a search a while after and found that very tutorial. absolutely sweet, signed up for the same and damn its good! a little complicated i guess but then so was bit torrent back in the day!!

cheers

Noel

dont suppose anyone can tell me how i can download two things at once?

i.e. instead of having four connections all downloading same thing, could i have 2 connections on one thing and 2 on another??

Also what affects the speed? sometimes i can get insane speeds like 450kb/s normally in the morning and yet right now im only getting 70kb/s

is it my connection or is it the servers (i.e. different servers different downloads etc)??

cheers

Audi S3 225
Yo after reading this post and checking out the guide by .griff i signed up as well, paying the £8 a month for unlimited access from newshosting and paid £1 for a month with newzbin.

A few questions i dont understand the search bar in newzbin, it has a search box with search for everything then next to that it has a box with posts, files, nfo's. What do these mean? My searches keep coming up with random files!

Also there arn't many files on that newzbin site, or am i just not looking properly. Still dont fully understand these newsgroups.

Allan

btw griff what speed connection do u have to get them speeds?

172 Cup
Jonesy said:
btw griff what speed connection do u have to get them speeds?

8mb at the time I wrote the tutorial but 16mb now.

As for searching. Just type in what you are looking for and it will bring back the results it can find. Aslong as your not looking for something extremely vague it should find it ok.

PM what file you are looking for and I will help you.

Audi S3 225
OMG 16mb, that’s just mad, I bet u never have to wait for anything! I’m only on 1 meg but my area can only have 2 max didn’t really download that much so didn’t upgrade, now im using these newsgroups im gonna upgrade to 2 meg as that will def make a difference.

I’m not really after any files inparticular just curious to how the search engine works does it search loads of different newsgroups, or just the sites own files. Also when I search for files it has loads of separate files I assume make up the iso or rar file. But why does it find them all separate this means I got to go through the files I need, select them all then download, instead of one click on file then download like torrents????????

Also what are posts? and is there any way to speed up the downloads, like settings in routers, firewalls, etc and are there any better downloading programs, im using the newsleecher trail version at the mo.

oh and i find these alt.bineries how do i look at the files they have? http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=4

Thanks .griff

Allan

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Jonesy I'll try and do a couple of screenshots to save me explaining it all. Got to have some food, chill out for a bit first though..

172 Cup
Ok..

I missed top Gear on Sunday so I want to download that. Enter "topgear" into the search bar and press enter... You get this -

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Click on the text I've highlighted and you'll get the screenshot below.

All the files are merely small rar files that you unrar after they have download. Notice all the files you need are already ticked, all you need to do is press the highlighted button and that instructs Newsleecher to download last Sundays Top Gear.. Easy..

Last edited:
  Audi S3 225
hey thanks for that i did that and it came up with nothing!!!! then i went to preferences and selected show all results instead 1 day and i got loads of results come up. So thats sorted.

Thanks dude,

just gotta get faster bb now and ill be super happy!

think telewest must employ some kind of traffic shaping thingy going on cos my connection speed for usenet definitely is better at certain times of the day! will give them a call and ask the question i think! still good enough for me! only prob now is bloody scan have taken three days to pick my order for a new hard drive! only got 10gb left and 1 blank dvd so might have to postpone downloading for a few days....NOOOOooooo!!! LOL hehe

A tip I find that works with my newsreader, Newsbin Pro, is to have around 4 connections open. For some reason I get a slightly better overall downstream speed when it's grabbing a few files at once.

I dont know if this is true of all readers, but it does make a difference in mine. I have no idea why it should though :clown:

so here's another question...at the end of the 14 day trial, does newsleecher let u keep using it or not!? what are people using as a download client?! surely we don't pay for it! its hard enough paying for downloads please don't say i've gotta start paying for software too!! hehe

cheers!