ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Usenet Providers

Hey all,
just wondering which Usenet provider everyone uses? Most seem to be based in USA, are there any (except Clara) who are in the UK?

Cheers,
-TS

What does it matter where they're based?

I use Easynews. Works out about £5.50 a month (depending on currency fluctuations) for 20Gb. You can buy more as necessary, but I've never done that, so not sure how much it is. They're also generous if they ever make a mistake, they'll give you 10Gb, 20Gb if they have outtages and shizzle.

Cheers Griff, NewsDeamon looks the biz. I was goign to go with Giganews but they dont accept my debit card :( It appears Deamon do tho (through WorldPay, whatever that is?)

How releaible are they? Also, just out of interest, why did you leave Giganews? They are supposed to be the best!

172 Cup
My speeds weren't great with Giganews to be honest.

Now I'm with Newsdemon it maxes out my 18mbps line each and every time.

Edit - Meant to say Newsdemon accept Paypal aswell (not seen many providers that do)

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Pretty much the same to be honest mate. The only real advantages I find with Newsdemon is the ability to pay by debit card (as opposed to credit card that most require), the price is more attractive and on the unlimited plan they give you 20 connections (as opposed to 8) which helps with a faster line.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Did you try the Giganews euro server Griff? I've been with them a while now, I find the speeds very fast indeed. I've only got a puny 10 meg line right enough ;) Certainly Giganews is a lot faster than my easynews account. Retention is now up to 90 days and the completeness is great, I hardly ever have to use pars.

172 Cup
It was the European server mate but it was some time ago that I was with them and it's probably vastly improved these days. I've always heard great reports on them too but Newsdemon ticks all the right boxes for me right now.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I use a debit card to pay for Newshosting without any trouble. If they are similar performance then I'll remain with them as they are slightly cheaper per month. Thanks for the input :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I use easynews, can't be arsed with NNTP, that's so 1990's. Their auto decompress (with par recovery if required) is brilliant.

Audi S3 225
hi i have a few files im trying to get but they all have downloaded about 99% of the files but it cant find the rest, its the same for the pars so when i click assemble imcompletes it just downloads the 99% of the files but it cant repair itself. Any ideas, im with newshosting unlimited, i didnt realise it could be down to the provider.

Just as a note, DemonNews offer a 1Gig 2day trial account for Free. All you do is email them via their support page and request one, must say.....works a treat!

Griff - When signing up with DemonNews, do you have to create a seperate account with WorldPay too?

CHeers,
-TS

Audi S3 225
griff i get my files from newsbin, im thinking the file is pretty old now so probably why it isnt whole any more, i tried getting it with newsdemon trial, but still no luck, im sure newshosting has a longer retention anyway. Any other way to get it???

Allan

172 Cup
Just as a note, DemonNews offer a 1Gig 2day trial account for Free. All you do is email them via their support page and request one, must say.....works a treat!

Griff - When signing up with DemonNews, do you have to create a seperate account with WorldPay too?

CHeers,
-TS

No mate. Wordpay is simply a card processing company and used by a lot of online retailers. You just sign up with Newsdemon and enter you card details as normal. Worldpay will merely process these details and authorise or deny your transaction.

172 Cup
griff i get my files from newsbin, im thinking the file is pretty old now so probably why it isnt whole any more, i tried getting it with newsdemon trial, but still no luck, im sure newshosting has a longer retention anyway. Any other way to get it???

Allan

PM me with the details of the file you're trying to get and I'll take a look.

I've not much experience with Newsgroups but for the last month i've had 30 day free trial with Newsleecher I was quite impressed.

No mate. Wordpay is simply a card processing company and used by a lot of online retailers. You just sign up with Newsdemon and enter you card details as normal. Worldpay will merely process these details and authorise or deny your transaction.

Ah right, I only ask as on their FAQ page it states this:
"If you signed up using either Paypal or Worldpay, you will need to login to your Paypal or Worldpay account and cancel your subscription there AS WELL as cancelling your subscription within Newsdemon."

Cheers,
-TS

172 Cup

Ah right, I only ask as on their FAQ page it states this:
"If you signed up using either Paypal or Worldpay, you will need to login to your Paypal or Worldpay account and cancel your subscription there AS WELL as cancelling your subscription within Newsdemon."

Cheers,
-TS

Worldpay just creates an account on your behalf when you first sign up to Newsdemon. It basically allows them to make the monthly debits on your behalf. Obviously if you cancel your subscription with Newsdemon you'll need to manually cancel the payment with Worldpay.

May sound complicated but it's not really.

I have just signed up to NewsDemon, its pretty good! I used the coupon 'COUPON20' when signign up and got 20% discount on each monthly payment until I can cancel my account! Cheers for the advice everyone.
-TS