ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

USING A LOT OF WATER! Head Gasket??

Renault Clio 1.2
It all sorted when I noticed the car started to misfiring and sound like it was only running on 3 cylinders and if would shutter very badly until you reved it for a few seconds and it would set itself, I had then replaced the coil pack and still doing the same but it hasn't been doing it much. I then noticed I was losing quite a bit of water, so I checked under the engine and there is no leaks but there is water and smoke fumes escaping from near the muffer(resonator) and spraying a little out from the tip of the exhaust. I need noticed when I open the later bottle(coolient) hot or cold it is relasing some pressure and it smells like petrol. When I open the oil tank under the cap it is a mustard colour so I think that is the water mixing with the oil and was wondering if this would be the head gasket or hopefully a minor problem!

My car is a Renault Clio 1.2 2003 16v billabong. I'm not sure weather it's a vase 1 2 or 3. But if someone could help me that would be great!

- Steam out of the exhaust (even when the engine is warmed up)
- Using a lot of coolant
- 'mayonnaise' under the oil filler cap

All of these are signs of a broken head gasket, so it sounds like it may be your issue!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It's a 1.2 with a plastic rocker cover, you will always end up with mayo under your filler cap. Just needs a good run and that will go.

Are you sure you're using coolant? Top it up. They often weep from the water pump on 1.2s.

Injectors will be the misfire most likely

Rusty Cup
Wouldn't worry too much about mustard on the oil cap. But if you have mustard on your dip stick then yes you have a blown head gasket or warped head. I fixed a 1.2 Clio with same symptoms 2 weeks ago, suspected head gasket but it was a cracked thermostat housing and failing coil pack. £15 and £30 from eurocarparts for parts but in my case the thermostat housing had broken as a result of the water pump failing which was a far lengthier fix.