ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using heavy cutting compounds instead of light ones?

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have detailed around 10 cars using a beginner friendly set of compounds and pads. Sometimes the swirles and scratches just wouldn't be corrected as well as I would have liked, not because I was doing it wrong but because I think the compounds were just light.

My question is instead of spending a lot of time machine polishing with very light cutting compounds can I not just use a much heavier cutting compound and better pads and spend less time on each section?

What heavy cutting compound is most used/ best and also what pad?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
What are you currently using?

When you start a job, you don't want to go balls-deep from the word go.. you're right to start mild and then, if needs be, work your way up using more aggressive polish/pad combos.

"spend less time on each section", not really, no. You'll need to fuilly work each polish to break down the abrasives so you can't lessen the time (albeit some requiring more/less time than others). If you ARE going heavy with cutting compounds (Menz 85RD 3.02, S500, 3M FastCut+ or the Megs 105 system) be aware that you must follow with a second (or even third) pass with a lighter polish/pad combination to refine the finish after harsh compounds. If you're after a 'single-hit' correction detail, you need to find the balance. (Balance between being able to correct the the paint with a compound but also one that finishes down well enough, too)

TrackCar & F30 330d
That info was helpful thanks.

I have been using a sonius (I think that's how you spell it) compounds and pads. A few years ago I bought a kit which came with a meg g220 da with 3 compounds and 3 pads. I had only ever used that so when I had used the first compound I sometimes saw that it was just not getting any better so couldn't have a full correction.

When I say say spend less time I mean because I would have to go over a the car more than usuall to try get the swirls out but if I used a heavier cutting compound I would perhaps only need to go over it once (working it in properly) and the use another polishing pad and compound to bring up the shine.

Clio 200 cup
I've recently moved to 3m pads and mazerna polish witch I recenly used on my titanium 182 and the results were amazing not a swirl in sight, I think allowing more time helps as rushing will give poor results, but if your looking for faster results have you considerd a rotary instead of the G220?