ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using slicks on drag

how much faster over the quarter mile would using slicks generally make you in a clio over road tyres?

thanx peeps

Half stripped mk2 172
If your car is set up as a proper drag car, you will run the quarter in sometimes even a second faster, depends a lot on your skills. If you have a standard car, it would be wiser to buy either a gearbox, driveshafts or clutch beforehand though, as these are the most likely three items to go with the amount of grip produced. But in all honesty dont bother, just lower the pressure of your good and soft road tyres by about 8-10psi and should be good enough.

Vince

Half stripped mk2 172
Then yes i would try some semi slicks tyres on like toyo or avon, but dont forget that there is always a weak point on the car. My advice from experience would be not to drop the clutch on launch but floor it as soon as you pull up from the line, if that makes sense.

Vince

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Make sure you get proper DRAG slicks not track/semi slick tyres they are 2 different kettles of fish. Avon semi slicks I had were great on track but straightline traction was worse than road tyres....

Oh and on your i reckon you could knock 0.4-0.6 off your 1/4 time... 2.0 60ft is a good target for fwd with slicks and thats 0.3 already saved...

Half stripped mk2 172
^^^^I wouldnt jump to conclusions mate, it all depends on track conditions and a lot of other things. I managed a 1.7 sec 0-60 with my toyota glanza with semi slicks, a good burnout and good track temperature with fresh grip juice on. That was in Malta though. In here you have to warm up the tyres a bit better.

Vince

Half stripped mk2 172
BenR said:
0-60 feet

micky thompson specials...........try them

Exactly what i used to use Ben, you are always spot on.

Even when i used to race in competitive races and when i upgraded to space fram chassis, with 32" rears thats what i had, best drag tyres in the world, cant beat them. Hard on the pocket though!! LOL

Vince