ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UV Filters

Thinking of buyinga couple for my lenses, just for added protection. Any makes to look out for?

People seem to use the Hoya ones, there only about £10 each.

Any other cheap recomendations?!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've got a hoya one, but its got a mark on it already, i'm not sure i'd buy another.

I've got a cheap bower one i bought in chicago, seems better than the hoya one tbh.

BE careful for ghosting when using filters and shooting in sunlight. I've had a couple of images spoilt because of weird reflections which are unavoidable.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Might sound silly, but what are UV filters? I'm confused with all these different types of filters. I was going to get a polarizer? Time for a UKASKEW guide to filters;)

UV Filters - Reduces Blue Haze caused by excessive UV light.

Circular Polarizing Filter - Deepens intensity of blue skies and reduces/eliminates none metallic refelctions.

Neutral Density Filters - Recude the amount of light entering the camera without affecting the colour balance. Normally used to achieve Longer exposures in daylight.

InfraRed (IR) Filter - Blocks light in the visible spectrum to to allow only light in the InfraRed spectrum to enter the camera. This produces images with a unique tonality and detail but requires longer exposures.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
UV Filters - Reduces Blue Haze caused by excessive UV light.

Circular Polarizing Filter - Deepens intensity of blue skies and reduces/eliminates none metallic refelctions.

Neutral Density Filters - Recude the amount of light entering the camera without affecting the colour balance. Normally used to achieve Longer exposures in daylight.

InfraRed (IR) Filter - Blocks light in the visible spectrum to to allow only light in the InfraRed spectrum to enter the camera. This produces images with a unique tonality and detail but requires longer exposures.

Thanks mate, so the polarizer will help with things like reflections in glass and alike?

Graduated density filters are good for things like landscapes? work the same as neutral ones but are half and half? So good for bright sky/dark foreground? allows for correct exposure?

Am I anywhere near right?